Ripper Large beta - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-03-2018   #1

SLC, Utarr
Paddling Since: 08
Ripper Large beta

Buenas, Coloradicals. This is prolly 1 or 2 weeks ahead of the game but any words/opinions/general shenaniganery on the Ripper Large appreciated.

After finding the 9RL was a slug without a 1st or 2nd gear (great once at speed), compared to my demo of the regular 9R, I'm very interested to know how the Ripper Large plays out.
I've enjoyed the troublesome-to-many mullet and brilliant braaap but I like the look of the Ripper Large's hull/lines and tail as well as Weld's thoughts on the regular Ripper on Hammer Factor.

themechanicnotthetool is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2018   #2

Roaring Fork Valley, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Interested as well. Standing by for beta.
Blade&Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018   #3

SLC, Utarr
Paddling Since: 08
Pulled the trigger on the Ripper Large and iíve had just under a month in it. I came from the mullet and some time in a borrowed party braaap.
An aquaintance and I swapped in and out of each otherís party braaap and ripper L for a few runs on Granite Creek, a fun WY class 3+ slalomfest with lots of playrocks, splats and whippy eddy hopping.
We both turned to each other in the river and had concluded independently the ripper L & party braaap werenít better or worse than each other overall but merely different.
In my view, the braaapís strengths were its heavily rockered creeking hull profile, its snappy eddy turns, and secondary stability. The design just has so much pop and sportiness as has been covered in many other reviews.
The Ripper L is uber fast like its 9R medium cousin but worlds comfier for big guys. Iím 6í4Ē, 235. Itís a little less carvy and boofs are fun but not as easy as the braaap since it has less tail rocker. The planing hull is far more fun surfing obviously. Down river play is a toss up. I think with more time in the p. braaap Iíd understand its potential better. The Ripper large does however feel like it has a more predictable tail for stern squirts, pivot turns, and general slicey play. I find it so easy to regulate how it interacts with currents underwater where the p. braaap takes more time to learn and can be catchy.
themechanicnotthetool is offline   Reply With Quote