Rescue PFD's - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-10-2010   #1

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Rescue PFD's

I was wondering if anybody has tried the new Stohlquist Descent, Stohlquist WaterWare, and if you liked it or if the Astral Green Jacket, Astral Buoyancy, is still the best rescue vest out there?

Mmcquillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2010   #2

Edge o' the Dust Bowl, Oklahoma
Paddling Since: 1982
I have one...like it a lot...very good pocket set-up...great fit and mobility. Never have used a Green Jacket, so can't help w/ comparison there. They run small...I ordered a S/M and it was too snug...so had to bump up to the next size. Selling the S/M...PM me for details if interested. It's never been in the water, has all of the tags, owner's manual, etc., and includes tether.
ActionJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010   #3

Durango, Colorado
I just purchased a new Descent, and in my first river trip with it was able to use it to its full advantage. I will say that it is very comfortable in periods of long wear, it performs very well in extended rescue/climbing situations. It is also a great buoyancy in class V whitewater. Go get one, and dont forget your on person throw bag, as well as tow teather.
GorillaBoofin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2010   #4

Durango, Colorado
I've tried both. The GreenJacket just didn't fit me right so I ended up going with the Descent. The Green has a lot more pockets and overall pocket room, good for being able to carry prussics, pulleys or whatever rescue gear on your person. Unfortunately I never really could get used to the fit, which trumps pockets for me. The Stohlquist is great as well, but the lack of shoulder strap adjustment and storage space could be a deal breaker for some.

In short, go try em on for yourself.
storm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010   #5

I just used my new Greenjacket for the first time last weekend and loved it. One vote for the Greeney. To my knowledge its the most well thought out rescue PFD on the market in terms of safety, features and ergonomics. That being said, put both on if you can and see which feels better. Remember to sit down in a boat once you are wearing them to see how they would really ride while paddling.
Old 05-11-2010   #6

Indian Hills, Colorado
I regret that I tested Green Jacket buoyancy, but was nonetheless impressed with both the flotation and freedom of movement.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010   #7

I looked at both. The green jacket did not fit me right. I did not like the double front. I went with the Descent and love it. It also has a few more pounds of flotation. Might not make a noticable difference at that point, but it helps me mentally.
G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010   #8

Golden, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-man View Post
I looked at both. The green jacket did not fit me right. I did not like the double front. I went with the Descent and love it. It also has a few more pounds of flotation. Might not make a noticable difference at that point, but it helps me mentally.
From what I just Googled the Stohlquiest Descent is 17lbs bouyancy and the Astral green vest is 16.75 lbs so not much difference, but I like the way you are thinking.

I'll wear a comfortable PFD in the playpark. For creeking I don't give a rat's ass what it feels like. It could be lined with spikes for all I care. I want it to stay on tight, float me good, and hold all the gear that I like to have on my body.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010   #9

student
paddled with this jacket for about 50 days and it is a great fit (i used to have a lotus and it is a more similar fit than the green jacket). There is tons of space to put anything you want and yes it does float. Unfortunatly I know from experience. pretty satisfied overall
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010   #10

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to craven_morhead
Also, the extrasport pro creeker is probably in the same category. I've been pleased with it.
craven_morhead is offline   Reply With Quote