Rescue Knife - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-25-2017   #1

Denham Springs, Louisiana
Paddling Since: 2014
Rescue Knife

I got a little Christmas cash and I'm planning on using it to buy a good river knife. All of the reviews I've read for various knives are very uneven. No one model seems to have really positive reviews. any opinions on knives would be appreciated.

Jilmby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2017   #2

Denver, Colorado
As much as I love the CRKT bear claw for its design, I'd gladly sell you mine. It has to be zip tied to the lash tab or somehow secured and I couldn't find a good way to keep it attached in the sheath for entry and exit from a raft. May be better on a kayak.
I settled on the stohlquist drifter and did some sharpening to it, works ok.
The Bearclaw is about a good a blade and design as can be found for secure handle and aggressively sharp blade with a blunt tip.
jonseim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017   #3

x, x
Paddling Since: x
Man we feel you, there are a lot of good designs that come with small flaws. The bear claw being one of them.

So much good, solid one piece design, serrated, compact, rounded tip.

But it doesn't stay in its sheath, even with good zip tie inforcement.

NRS similar holding problem.

I found a diving knife from CRCKT that is awesome. 3" folding, cerrated blade round tip or blunt nose.

Pros and cons to folding knives and blunt tips.

I have no intention of stabbing into my boat and cutting plastic to cockpit so I am ok with folding and blunt tip.

I am realistic about my knife usage also. It is there for cutting rope or sprayskirt in cas of emergency. I keep mine inside a zippered pocket also. I plan on staying calm enough to retrieve it no matter what. Others will want it on the outsid of a jacket.

I am in class 3/4 when I use it the most, I have never had to use it while pinned or submerged.

To keep it short, I like 3" foldable serrated blunt tip, I carry it in a zippered pocket, it has a standard clip style retaining.
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2017   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonseim View Post
As much as I love the CRKT bear claw for its design, I'd gladly sell you mine. It has to be zip tied to the lash tab or somehow secured and I couldn't find a good way to keep it attached in the sheath for entry and exit from a raft. May be better on a kayak.
I settled on the stohlquist drifter and did some sharpening to it, works ok.
The Bearclaw is about a good a blade and design as can be found for secure handle and aggressively sharp blade with a blunt tip.
The Bearclaw was one that i'd looked at but I was concerned about the sheath problems that people complained about. Same with the NRS but not to the same degree. Thanks for the input.
Old 12-26-2017   #5

Any thoughts on the NRS Co-pilot?
Old 12-26-2017   #6

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Here's the thread that sold a thousand Bearclaws (and convinced me to get one). This illustrates the value of the finger hole. If mine starts falling out of the sheath, I'll gladly get another one.

In 10+ years I haven't had problems with the knife coming out of the sheath like others mention. I rarely take it out of the sheath and I never use it for food prep, so the little snap-clip thingy hasn't worn down very much. If you're really concerned about it, try getting some cotton string that you'd be able to snap or cut easily in a rescue situation and tying the knife to the sheath. Another suggestion is to file and smooth down any non-blade edges, even on a "blunt-end" knife that could come in contact with someone's skin when you're getting the blade into position to cut a rope. Think about having to use force to get the knife between a tight rope and your bare forearm and you'll understand what I mean.

Good luck with your choice,

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy H. View Post
Here's the thread that sold a thousand Bearclaws (and convinced me to get one). This illustrates the value of the finger hole. If mine starts falling out of the sheath, I'll gladly get another one.

In 10+ years I haven't had problems with the knife coming out of the sheath like others mention. I rarely take it out of the sheath and I never use it for food prep, so the little snap-clip thingy hasn't worn down very much. If you're really concerned about it, try getting some cotton string that you'd be able to snap or cut easily in a rescue situation and tying the knife to the sheath. Another suggestion is to file and smooth down any non-blade edges, even on a "blunt-end" knife that could come in contact with someone's skin when you're getting the blade into position to cut a rope. Think about having to use force to get the knife between a tight rope and your bare forearm and you'll understand what I mean.

Good luck with your choice,

-AH
That's a pretty convincing testimonial! Thanks for the input.
Old 12-26-2017   #8

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Bear claw user for the last decade I think, love it. 2 emergency uses and it performed perfectly. Have had to use zip ties to secure sheath to PFD, but have never had one fall out of its sheath. Donít use any tether from knife to sheath.

Have heard of rafters knocking them out when pulling themselves back in the raft but being a kayaker I donít have that issue. Have a copilot, hate it, the flatness of it drives me nuts and canít trust it when in hand. Great for spreading cream cheese and cutting veggies though.
kayakfreakus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017   #9

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy H. View Post
In 10+ years I haven't had problems with the knife coming out of the sheath like others mention. I rarely take it out of the sheath and I never use it for food prep, so the little snap-clip thingy hasn't worn down very much.
Same here, I haven't had a problem with the Bear Claw coming out of the sheath. I climb in and out of the raft plenty. I'd say just be cognizant of where it's positioned on your PFD and add light tether that can easily be broken by a swift pull if you feel like you need it. Or just put it in a pocket on your PFD. In 16 years of kayaking and rafting I haven't been in a situation where I couldn't spare 5 seconds to unzip a pocket and grab a knife.
JHimick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017   #10

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I have used the Blackie Collins "River Master" by Gerber my entire boating career. It is an excellent knife and has never unintentionally came out of it's sheath. Very sharp. I feel like I could use it to cut through a spray skirt or rope quite quickly if necessary. The tip is very sharp as well and could be a hazard in an emergency situation, but as of yet I have not encountered this....

https://www.ebay.com/p/Gerber-Blacki...ife/1801464895
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote