Rescue gear - what goes where? - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-02-2017   #1

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2016
Rescue gear - what goes where?

I'm planning to take a 2-day swift water rescue clinic in May and have been gathering various rescue gear per the recommended equip list for the class and other things I've read. Most of the gear (carabiners, pulleys, prussic chord, webbing) fits in a small dry bag, with the exception of the static rope. My plan was to put my breakdown paddle, static rope and dry bag containing the rescue gear (and a small first aid kit) behind my seat and then blow up my float bags around this stuff. But I'm wondering if that's the best place for it or if I should have more of the rescue gear on my person in my PFD (Stohlquist Decent) or more accessible in the cockpit. I keep my throw bag in the cockpit clipped to the front post and carry a whistle and small knife on my PFD. Also, I'd like to know what people do with their tow tethers so that they eliminate the possibility of getting tangled in it. My tether is about 4 ft and clips on an O-ring in the back center of my PFD. Should I keep the whole thing in my PFD pocket until I need it or keep it connected in the back and wrap it around my waist and clipped off on my PFD. I'm sure a lot of this will be covered during the class but I'm interested in knowing what the experienced Buzzards do. Thanks!

shoebvco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2017   #2

Roaring Fork Valley, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I'd recommend some beer.
Blade&Shaft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017   #3

Buena Vista, Colorado
Check - mesh beverage pocket in front of the Stohlquist Decent PFD. Good place for a post-paddling cold one. Thanks for the recommendation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2017   #4
Jared

Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
I've seen guys keep prussic cords and tethers like that wrapped around their waist clipped with a carabiner. I've never felt the need to keep one on me, but I wear a waist throw bag with a tow tether one it already. As far as carrying a static rope in a kayak, I'd look more toward a throw bag with static rope that can be used in a Z drag. I keep a static rope in a full Z drag kit on my raft, and when I take out my IK I leave the big rope at home and take the rest of my kit with me and a 75' throw bag. (That's on top of my Salamander waist bag)
Old 04-03-2017   #5

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Two tether

When I wear a rescue vest I keep the tow tether on the ring. It loops under my dominant arm and then clips to the front of my vest where I can get to it easily. I keep a locking biner on it, although I only lock it when setting up a static rescue like a Z drag. I find trying a knot that unties when I pull on it easiest, but others prefer putting it in the zip pocket easier.
I also keep my pin kit stuff handy, in my case, in the zip pockets. My best suggestion is not to take anything anybody says as gospel, but to fiddle with your gear and practice until you have a smooth system.
I'm not a big fan of carrying static line in decked boats. I have done fine using throw rope. Learn the Butterfly Hitch. It makes that kind of thing simple, because you can easily put a loop anywhere in a rope, and it comes out easily after being loaded.
Alpine Butterfly Loop | How to tie the Alpine Butterfly Loop | Climbing Knots
FallingH20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017   #6
Jared

Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallingH20 View Post
When I wear a rescue vest I keep the tow tether on the ring. It loops under my dominant arm and then clips to the front of my vest where I can get to it easily. I keep a locking biner on it, although I only lock it when setting up a static rescue like a Z drag. I find trying a knot that unties when I pull on it easiest, but others prefer putting it in the zip pocket easier.
I also keep my pin kit stuff handy, in my case, in the zip pockets. My best suggestion is not to take anything anybody says as gospel, but to fiddle with your gear and practice until you have a smooth system.
I'm not a big fan of carrying static line in decked boats. I have done fine using throw rope. Learn the Butterfly Hitch. It makes that kind of thing simple, because you can easily put a loop anywhere in a rope, and it comes out easily after being loaded.
Alpine Butterfly Loop | How to tie the Alpine Butterfly Loop | Climbing Knots
Truth!
Old 04-04-2017   #7

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2008
gringoanthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017   #8

Buena Vista, Colorado
Thanks all for the tips, knot tying link and NRS video. Great suggestions. Really looking forward to taking the course.