REPAIRING HYDROSKIN - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-04-2011   #1

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
REPAIRING HYDROSKIN

I have some NRS Hydroskin pants that ripped (two tears on each leg, about 2" - 3" long). I would like to repair them, but am unsure if the instructions for neoprene repair I've seen posted elsewhere are equally applicable to hydroskin. Any thoughts or advice on how to repair these are appreciated.

Thx,

JDR

Advertisement

Old 01-05-2011   #2

Bellingham, Washington
Paddling Since: 2002
Two points here:
1) Having dealt with NRS in the past on equipment failures they are up to industry standards and friends that have worked for them have always stated that if products fail they will make it right. This usually means that you need to have purchased the product from them or one of their retailers.
2) If you got this second hand and are on your own for repair find yourself an industrial sewing machine. Have some local friends that own a sail repair shop that have helped on some blown out items and know how to make things stronger than before. Don't use mom's standard machine because the thickness of the neoprene material will mess up the needle. Start by turning them inside out and doing an overlook pattern (think little triangles with the top angle leading to the next top angle) and keep about 1/8" overlap of both side of material on the lower side of the stitch. Overlap with the existing seam about and inch.

Hope it helps.
tripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011   #3
Don

Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990
NRS

Ironmend and Aquaseal.

-Glue or stitch it back together and then iron an Ironmend patch inside and outside of the pants covering the rips. You can find this at most kayaking or rafting shops. Or, look for McNett online.

If it was a defect NRS will replace them for free no questions asked. If it came from some kind of accident or long rough swim (see the directions above).
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2011   #4

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Thanks for the feedback

I don't know whether the damage was "accidental". The pants tore while wet exiting my boat. I think they caught on my back band adjustment hardware. This seems to be more of an accident than something NRS would expect the pants would survive unscathed. Your thoughts Don?

Also, thanks to both of you for information on how to do the repair.

Thx
JDR
Old 01-05-2011   #5
Don

Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990
The damage was not from normal usage and profailure. That being said you really have three options; 1= fix it yourself. Takes about 30 minutes and you'll have supplies left over for future rips if any ever happen. 2- send it back to NRS to have them fix it at a discounted cost for you, or, in Denver Stitchlines does a really good job. 3- try to warrenty it through NRS (if they say no- do 1 or 2).

Myself I would fix it and see if I could do something to the boat so it doesn't happen again.
Old 01-06-2011   #6

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
A good fix for tears is to sew them together with dental floss and then put aquaseal on the stitches to keep it all together.

No industrial machine needed, just get a needle and some dental floss. Pushing the needle through the hydroskin can be tough... use a pair of pliers to hold the needle and push and pull it through.

Aquaseal over the top to the stitches and you should be fine.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011   #7

80523, Confusion
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsouthpaddler View Post
A good fix for tears is to sew them together with dental floss and then put aquaseal on the stitches to keep it all together.

No industrial machine needed, just get a needle and some dental floss. Pushing the needle through the hydroskin can be tough... use a pair of pliers to hold the needle and push and pull it through.

Aquaseal over the top to the stitches and you should be fine.

The minty kind works best.
hnw2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hydroskin, repair