Removing ramp gate from Carry-On trailer??? - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-19-2011   #1
4Life

Moustacheville, North Carolina
Removing ramp gate from Carry-On trailer???

I literally put the cart before the horse today... I have been looking for a medium sized utility trailer for hauling my 12 foot Hyside with gear and the occasional random furniture, etc.

I searched Craigslist some and found a few that looked decent, but the owner didn't have a title. Rather than get into that whole rodeo, I decided to start looking for new ones. Well it turns out that all the major stores (Lowes, TSC, Northern Tool, Southern States) all sell the same brand, Carry-On.

AAAANNNDDD, Northern Tool had the 5x8 mesh floor w/ folding gate for $529!!!! It's usually $649....So I bought it!!

Then I realized, I can't (easily) remove the gate ramp.

This is a problem for hauling my 12 foot raft as I need it to hang off the rear of the trailer about a foot to fit. I called Carry-On and asked if the hinge pins were removable, a the guy said they are "crimped inside the hinge" and could not be hammered out. Here is what they look like:

One side of the hinge has a grease fitting like this, which looks smaller diameter than the hinge:

The other side has a flat head on it, like the top of a door hinge pin:

I find it really hard to believe I can't hammer the pin out by hitting the grease fitting side with a mallet... I don't want to try though, because I might just return it. If I could hammer the pin out, I could just replace it with a grade 8 bolt and it would be easily removable!

Ideas? Experience? Thanks!

Here she is:

DirtBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2011   #2

Durango, CO
Paddling Since: 1997
i have the same trailer.

i built up the sides about 18" to put my coolers and dry boxes beneath, then put (removable) planks across for my raft.

I took it to a welding friend, and had him cut the gate down and re-weld an angled piece on it so I can mount a 2x6 (and eventually a roller).

Also, I had the tounge lengthened 2', so it's basically a 10' trailer with an 8' box.

I'm a dork, and I don't know how to post pictures (not going to upload one to a flickr account now)

but PM me your phone number or email address and I'll go crack off a pic and send it to you directly. I'm stoked on the way it turned out and my 5x8 trailer carries my 14' maravia perfectly.
BLott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011   #3

nomad, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I took a hack saw and sawed off the entire hinge. I used the fastner for the ramp gate (the spring loaded pins) and used them to hold the rear door I built. I enclosed the sides and bottom (on top of mesh) with light plywood and put carpeted plywood on top for a deck. It holds my 14 foot boat great. I was in for about 900 after taxes and registration. It works great for my needs.
I should have done what Blott did and used the hinges but I rushed it and cut them off, then installed door hinges for the rear door. The roller is the next project. Enjoy
jhalseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2011   #4
4Life

Thanks for the replies fellas! I was starting to regret my purchase...

I would love to see some pictures of your modifications! Blott, I will e-mail you for them. Ideally I would like to keep the ramp/gate intact and have it just be removable since the trailer would serve double duty. I was planning to fill in the side gaps so gear doesn't fall out, bolt wooden planks to either side rail for the raft to sit on, line everything with that plastic fake astroturf, and maybe put a box on the tongue. If I needed to use the trailer to haul something I would just unbolt the side planks and re-attach the ramp/gate. I don't plan on extending the trailer at all, since my 12 foot Hyside would only need to hang about 2 feet off the front and rear.

Aside from all that, how long have you had your trailers? Have they hep up well? What is the most weight you have loaded them with?

Thanks for the help!
Old 07-20-2011   #5

Carbondale, Colorado
I'd still try a hammer - just a big one. Take an angle grinder and cut off the top flat part of the pin and see if it will pound out in the opposite direction it's supposed to . Then replace the pin with some round stock and a pin. I used the tailgate from my similiar trailer as part of the elevated deck for the raft, and since it's structural, made a good rigid overhanging end to put rollers on.
watermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011   #6
4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermonkey View Post
I'd still try a hammer - just a big one. Take an angle grinder and cut off the top flat part of the pin and see if it will pound out in the opposite direction it's supposed to . Then replace the pin with some round stock and a pin. I used the tailgate from my similiar trailer as part of the elevated deck for the raft, and since it's structural, made a good rigid overhanging end to put rollers on.
Yeah, I have a big ol' hand mallet I am going to try on it. I just had to decide if I was going to keep it before I start destroying it! For $529, I think it's worth keeping. I know a welder that might be able to help me out. I will definitely have him put some triangular supports on that tongue, its VERY flexy with weight on either corner.
Old 07-20-2011   #7

I've looked all over for a similar trailer (cheap) without the gate and they only seem to come with the gate. Odd that they are not offered with an option. Seem they could price it better without the gate and add the gate as an option. One of the many downsides to having out source all manufacturing to China, less flexibility and few options for custom.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011   #8
4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I've looked all over for a similar trailer (cheap) without the gate and they only seem to come with the gate. Odd that they are not offered with an option. Seem they could price it better without the gate and add the gate as an option. One of the many downsides to having out source all manufacturing to China, less flexibility and few options for custom.
Carry-On is actually made in Georgia. Surprising, I know...but it was one of the first questions I asked.
Old 07-20-2011   #9
I'm right 50% of the time

RFV, CO
Paddling Since: 1977
I would find a metal shop that could drill them out or press them out.

If you are new to the trailing world, I would also suggest a spare tire and a set of bearing budddies. A couple of taillight covers and some extra bulbs are also nice to have on hand.
brendodendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011   #10

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I have a carry-on trailer as well and ran into the same problem. The good thing is that the tailgate will fold in and lay down flat in the bed if you don't want to cut it off.
GrizzlyChicken is offline   Reply With Quote