Remove paddle blades? - Mountain Buzz

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1

AB, AB
Paddling Since: 2008
Remove paddle blades?

I have a Werner paddle with very damaged blades but the shaft is fine. I was wondering if anyone has done this (or knows of a video on how to remove the blades without destroying the shaft.) Because I live in Canada the shipping costs to send it in would be really expensive. I was hoping to buy the blades and possibly do it at home. Thoughts?

j-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
I wish it were as simple as the handles on a nordic ski pole, which is, put it in hot water until the glue softens then pull. Actually, I'm glad it is not that easy remembering back to surfing one day on the Bio Bio when my blade completely broke off. It really leaves you feeling inadequate. (It wasn't a Werner paddle).

Looking at my Werners' right now all I can imagine is setting aside a few days with your Dremel or multitool in hand. First cut the blade off flush with the end of the shaft. Then cut slots in the ferrule(?) down to the shaft that you can put a screw driver into and then twist. I've never done it but that is how I'd try.

Or you can contact Scott Perry at [email protected] and see if he has ideas or alternate solutions. He has always been eager to be of assistance.

Good luck!
GeoRon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3

AB, AB
Thanks GeoRon. Doesn't sound crazy hard and it is worth a try, since the paddle is useless anyways. The worst that can happen is I mess it up and use the creeker paddle for playboating for a while. I have sent a message to Scott at Werner. Hopefully he will send me new blades which would only mean shipping one direction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #4

Golden, Colorado
I've thought about it more and have further clarification and other ideas.

I think cutting the slots the full length of the ferrule and on opposite sides gives you your best chance.

Also perhaps using a heat gun to heat the ferrule may cause thermal expansion to pop the ferrule loose or at least add to the leverage of your twisting screwdriver blade.

If only one side of the ferrule pops off then it would be time to cut another slot and go at it again.

Or perhaps Scott is going to tell you that the glue is the strongest component in the attachment process and that the shaft will splinter before the glue gives. In which case, game over

Have fun and would love to know how it turns out.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5

AB, AB
I will post my results if/when I hear from Scott and if they will sell me just the blades.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #6

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1969
Dremel - variable speed - is your friend. Cutting blade and go slow, try various angles until you find the right one(s). Wear eye protection.
B4otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #7

Golden, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-star View Post
I will post my results if/when I hear from Scott and if they will sell me just the blades.
Now that you mention it, actually selling you the blades only could open a can of worms Werner might not be interested in. So many what ifs that just ain't worth it. For example, simply, what if you f' up the shaft when you get around to removing the blade. Will you ask them to buy back the blades? And Werner definitely doesn't want a butt ugly paddle around with their name on it.

And selling to you directly also might violate arrangements with their local Werner dealer where ever or who ever they might be.

This is possibly putting Werner between a rock and a hard place which are similar places to where your paddle has been from the way it sounds.

I've got an old best buddy paddle that has blades with perhaps an inch missing all the way around, lost at less than an fraction of a millimeter at a nipping. Sometimes ya know, ya just got to suck it up and put that love of your life over the fireplace and develop a new relationship. Please trust me, that is not my intentions for my wife although I might end up over her fireplace. Not that anyone would appreciate that sight.

Keep us posted. Very intriguing.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #8

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1969
Losing surface area of your paddle comes from sticking it places it don't belong...
B4otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #9

Golden, Colorado
True B4otter, they should move the bottom of the river but that would take most of the fun outta squirt boat'in May I mention, my squit boat's nose is many inches shorter than when purchased.

But in a philosophical (or sexual) sense my nose goes there too often(if you interpret my meaning)
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #10

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
So your wife might decide to hang you over the mantle, for sticking it places it doesn’t belong???

This whole thread has me very concerned about my shaft....

Tags
blade