Remove paddle blades? - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking > Kayaking | Gear Talk

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #11

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Hey on a serious note...
What about rebuilding the stubby blades that are on there, with fiberglass??

Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #12

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
We digress but that is on me
GeoRon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #13

Golden, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt man View Post
Hey on a serious note...
What about rebuilding the stubby blades that are on there, with fiberglass??
I and likely we are allergic to fiberglass rebuild. Or perhaps I miss your meaning.

Regarding paddles and blades, I rebuilt the blade of an Illiad canoe paddle. It worked but wasn't pretty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #14

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Just trying to think outside the box...
I could see trying to rebuild the blades with fiberglass, being very difficult!!
I also thought about building some wooden replacements blades, or one wooden one and a T-grip.... could keep the paddle shaft for protection, in case of being in trouble...

What would 4Runner do, if he was hear right now??
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #15

Golden, Colorado
MT4runner and friends perform magic with wood and materials. It would be interesting to know what they might be able to do.

One problem perhaps with wood is mating the synthetic shaft to the wood blade. We know it is done with oars but that is a larger diameter to deal with.

The paddle that broke on me on the Bio Bio was just such a hybrid, wood laminate blade and carbon fiber shaft. It snapped right near where the wood ended internally within the shaft. Therefore it was probably more a failure of the shaft than the wood or even the joining process. But it was more than 20 years ago so my memory may be faulty.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #16

Jenks, Oklahoma
Others with a lot more construction expertise for me have commented.

I took the insert a wooden blade into the fiberglass tube as a possible solution.

I have a Bending Branches canoe paddle with a fiberglass shaft and wooden blade.
It has stood up well for my canoe trips.
Do not know how it would work on an oar shaft.
I have not had much luck posting photos, but here is BB info on my paddle.

https://bendingbranches.com/canoe-pa...burst/straight
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #17

Golden, Colorado
j-star,

Did you hear back from Scott? He is usually very prompt with responses.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #18

GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
I broke a Werner paddle on day one of its' service a few years ago. Sort of a freak thing -- no one in the river could see where I'd hit anything, and I didn't feel myself hit anything, but there I was missing a blade.

Called Werner when I got home to see if they'd send me a blade so that I could repair it myself.

An unequivocal 'no' was the answer.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #19

Golden, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
I broke a Werner paddle on day one of its' service a few years ago. Sort of a freak thing -- no one in the river could see where I'd hit anything, and I didn't feel myself hit anything, but there I was missing a blade.

Called Werner when I got home to see if they'd send me a blade so that I could repair it myself.

An unequivocal 'no' was the answer.
Bummer! That is a freak thing. Did you send it in to be evaluated for defects and/or get it repaired?

After thinking about it I was wondering if they'd even be interested in selling blades only. I can't really blame them for not wanting to.

Frequently the way such situations work out best is to take it back to where you bought it and let them do the evaluation, manufacturer interaction and potential replacement at some type of reduced cost, such as, "Big bummer loyal customer. That is a freak thing. You bought that yesterday. Let's see if we can get you one at 10 percent over my cost?". Or something like that. Just saying.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #20

Fort Collins
I too am interested in what you learn. I bought a boat last summer that came with a heavily worn paddle. It's a bent shaft player, but the blades have been worn nearly to nubs, and one is cracked. It has some extra epoxy helping it out. I asked Werner about putting new blades on it, and that could do it for $125/blade for fibreglass blades, plus shipping. I ended up finding a new bent shaft paddle on a Christmas sale for just a few dollars more, so took that road, but still have a nearly dead paddle on my hands, and I'm not sure what to do with it. Kind of hoping someone out there might be interested in it for $25 when the water starts coming up.

Tags
blade