refinishing Cataract Oars? - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-28-2008   #1

C. Springs, Colorado
refinishing Cataract Oars?

Has anyone tried to refinish their Cataract oars? We have a couple of pairs that shed fiberglass since the clear coat has warn off them. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

For this reason alone.........I'd never buy another pair of these pieces of puppy poo!!! They suck purple pony puds!!!!!

Sawyer.........HERE I COME!!

caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2008   #2

Palisade, Colorado
never done it, but I'm sure you could use this epoxy for a very sturdy clear coat:
http://www.raka.com/index.html
there is also West System epoxy, more expensive, but might be more readily available:
WEST SYSTEM Epoxy
I'm sure either would do the trick. I'm using Raka on a dory project.
peak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008   #3

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
You would have to recoat wood too, so I do not really see much of a difference there.

I don't see why you could not just use some fiberglass resin to recoat the oars.
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2008   #4
I'm right 50% of the time

RFV, CO
Paddling Since: 1977
Cataract oars are built tough and designed to last. With proper care, you should never have a problem.

I try to sand any damaged areas with steel wool and then spray that area as soon as I see damage. I have not ever needed to repair an oar more than in a rub spot, but I store my oars in the garage, as sunlight and the elements take a hard tool on these items.

I have repaired a warner ladder the way described below and now do not get fiberglass splinters every time I carry it onto a job site.

To refinish a whole oar, you need to strip off the urethane clear coat. This can be done with a blasting medium or with 320 wet sand paper until every bit of gloss left on the surface is gone. Take your time and do this methodically so that every inch is sanded smooth and dull. Rinse wet sand paper every few strokes and keep sand paper free of build up. Just before spraying, wipe surface down with cheese cloth and Lacquer thinner. Spray with a high percentage urethane paint. Spray 2 to 3 even coats.

For badly damaged areas, try using a fiberglass epoxy such as one for surfboard repair or car body repair.

With a little TLC, you oars can be bright and shinny in no time.

Consult some boat builders forums for more advice

Hey, If you want to get rid of any of the damaged ones, send me a PM
Old 04-29-2008   #5

unemployeed
Send a message via ICQ to northfwestg
oars

no worries mate, ill buy all your cataracts, commercially use them 2000 river miles a summer and paint with epoxy, call me for a sale, danger 406-250-8890
northfwestg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008   #6

C. Springs, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowhere View Post
You would have to recoat wood too, so I do not really see much of a difference there.

I don't see why you could not just use some fiberglass resin to recoat the oars.
Wood doesn't give you an itch just by touching it. But if you rub up against these fiberglass oars of ours....

I'm afraid if I coat them in resin, the plastic sleeves won't fit anymore. They are really tight as it is.

Quote:
Cataract oars are built tough and designed to last. With proper care, you should never have a problem.
I'm finding out that proper care means refinishing them once a year. Thanks for all the helpful suggestions everyone.

I went to the local auto paint store and got some two part epoxy clear in a rattle can. You put the hardner in the bottom of the can and have 8 hours to spray it. A friend sanded them and sprayed them and refinished them for me. (He paints for a living) I'll find out next week how they hold up. Deso/Gray.....here I come!!
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008   #7

golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1976
This will work

I had the same problem and solved it. 3M has a tape "Scotchrap all-weather corrosion protection" The tape comes in a 6 inch width.. I wrapped my oars 2 seasons ago and have had no problems since. The wrap has held up on 2 Grand trips, Cat., Dino., and several other outings. JR
jrstrauss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cataract