Red Shank - Mountain Buzz

Old 1 Week Ago   #1

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Red Shank

Anyone ever seen one of these? My neighbor just picked it up for $100 and wants to set it up as a WW raft for our local run class II+ / III run on the Poudre. I think it is doable, but get ready to get wet and bucket the hell out of it!

markfortcollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #2

Conejos Canyon & Houston, CO & TX
Paddling Since: 1979
it's an avon

very well made boat when it was new - known to last a very long time if taken care of properly. redshank is meant as a dinghy so not a whitewater shape but people do use them.

be safe and have fun on the river
crispy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Sight unseen, a Redshank is a great boat. It's an Avon after all(not meaning to sound redundant).

I saw John Garren(RIP)(author of many western river guides) run a Redshank down the Middle Fork at fairly high water in about 1982.

I saw Chris Brown(famed western photographer) run a Redshank down the Grand(late 80's????, maybe later) including Horn Ck at an extremely low flow(around 2k weekend flow, very impressive).

I've seen the Redshank do very note worthy things. But it would not be my first choice of boat, especially at certain flows and certain sections of the Poudre.

Have fun and as away's, be safe(Again, not meaning to sound redundant).
GeoRon is online now   Reply With Quote