Recretec Frames?? Reviews, Photos, etc. - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-12-2011   #1

steamboat springs, Colorado
Recretec Frames?? Reviews, Photos, etc.

Recretec Frames--reviews? Thoughts? Photos?

I really like the looks of their aluminum frames and am wondering what kind of experiences folks out there have had with these Recretec products. They seem to make stuff that is unlike anything else you can find out there (square aluminum, dropdown trays, quick release oar towers, etc).

Any reviews or photos of your own system would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking into something like the deluxe aluminum frame with siderails for my 143D. Thanks!

3d3vart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2011   #2

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1996
These frames are bad ass. They are very well built and very functional. My dad has had one in his maravia for about 10 years. He has never had a problem it. I built one just like his for my sotar and I love it. I would recomend getting one for your raft.
whitewatercowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011   #3

Woody Creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1971
Recretec makes great frames! Ours is powder coated white....doesn`t get hot!
fredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2011   #4

NorCal, California
Paddling Since: 91
Recretec frames look good and work OK but you might want to look at the DRE or Pro style of frames also. I think they're more versatile and adaptable to different loads. The cross bars are adjustable allowing different size coolers and dry boxes and are usually configured to carry rocket boxes in a drop bag, many times with a table used as a hatch cover. In other words the Dre typed of frame is imho a more efficient frame.
Wavester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011   #5
BCJ

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
I had a Rectretec on an Avon Adventurer (14') and loved it. I set it up with 2 dry boxes, one front, one rear, and the cooler in the middle. Worked well for that boat on medium length trips. BUT, I agree with Wavester that for larger boats/longer trips/more gear, the Downriver/Clavey drob-bag style frames are pretty versatile. Also, you can set up a 4-bay, which is what I have now on a 16' Avon. The nice part of Recretec are the solid floor which, because it doesn't use 1 5/8 tubing for its base, sits down lower giving proper leg room, and the way the dryboxes just clip in and out. A drawback of Recretec is where to carry a river table. I guess for a larger boat and more versatility at this point I like the Down River style frame (with double rail and diamond plate for walking around ease), and for the smaller boat the Recretec. (BTW, I've only owned 6 rafts and 4 dories in my lifetime, so asking me is maybe not the best choice. I've had a chance to "try them all" so to speak and have gotten picky and opinionated. Just get one and go boating! My buddy Jim is still rowing his 2 x 8" lumber "woody" frame that we built 20 years ago!)
BCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011   #6

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
My river buddy has been using a Recretec frame on his 16 ft. Maravia Williwaw for a long time. It totally rocks. The clip in boxes are bomber. He has one box set up as a kitchen box, which we unclip and carry into camp. The table is easy. He loads his cargo area with dry bags, then puts the table on top and straps it down, then more stuff goes on top of the table & in the cargo area. He's been running this system for over 10 years and loves it. In the attached pic you'll see the pile, kitchen box that he rows off of, then his cooler, then another dry box. When we land in camp, we swing his boat around to off load the gear, then unclip the kitchen box. He also has the same frames for his two catarafts. When Recretec & Eddy Out frames split up, they quit making the aluminum Cat frames, but I think they are starting to make them again?
KJ
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011   #7

vancouver, Washington
That frame looks tight. Curios, How much space is there for his feet?
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011   #8

Sandy, Utah
I'm not really sure. At least 2 feet I think. He's never complained about lack of leg room. I'll attach a few more pics that might give some idea of how the frame is set up. With the Recretec, I think you have to get your dimensions dialed in, and then have them customize to fit your needs. I use an NRS frame on my Cat, and I agree with others about the versatility. But the Recretec is a really sweet frame, and my friend is the only one who rows this boat, so it's customized for him.
One picture shows the frame without the boxes/cooler in place (San Juan), the other shows it loaded (Main Salmon). You can get a better idea of the leg room in the second picture.
KJ
Old 02-14-2011   #9

vancouver, Washington
What are these guys maravia sponsored?
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011   #10

Sandy, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamkal View Post
What are these guys maravia sponsored?
I wish we were..... then maybe we'd get some kind of a discount. We just like Maravia boats.
KJ