Recreational River Shoes - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-27-2009   #1

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Recreational River Shoes

A friend is looking for advice on people's favorite recreational river shoes, and why, for rafting. I'm leaving this very open ended, on request.

Thanks everyone!

Advertisement

Old 11-27-2009   #2

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Keens. The toe bumper thingy is pretty great. Still love my Chacos, but they lack the toe protection.
Old 11-27-2009   #3
gh

pnw, Colorado
Will it be cold or warm on these trips?
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2009   #4

SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
My warm-weather standbys are plain old Chacos, w/o the toe strap.

For the sort of funfest where you have to get out a lot and horse your boat over rocks, I wear the NRS Scout watershoes.

They're reasonably comfortable, well-made, and I can walk several miles in them barefoot without blisters. (Right now on sale for $38.95 which is a good deal). The NRS river shoes dry out pretty fast and if you pack some good wicking socks, synthetic or wool blend, you can do an emergency walkout without severe harm to your tootsies.

(The old gray-soled Chacos are unbeatable for friction scrambling on slickrock.)

For cold water, I add neoprene Gator Sox, the basic type and the pair I bought for paddling Sitka Sound with fleecy linings. Both are thin enough to wear with the Chacos and NRS river shoes.
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009   #5

Christopher Creek, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1969
I go with Chacos when chances of a rocky portage are slim and the weather is good. The NRS Abyss Boots go over the drysuit booties in cold weather/water. They are the ticket when you have to get out of the boat to haul stuff around or work on pins. My boots are one half size large so I can layer a couple pair of fleece socks inside the drysuit.
fdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009   #6

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I mostly use the Merrill Water Pro Maipo. They are pretty good but not perfect. After 4 seasons one shoe is completely falling apart. Haven't decided on my next shoes, may get the Merrill's again. I often add neoprene socks to them and when the drysuit comes out I usually pull out my NRS Work Boots. I've had the workboots since '02 and they have seen a lot of use (including 2 seasons of commercial guiding in AK) and are still going strong - certainly some clear wear but they are fundamentally solid.

For true warm weather trips I just got some Teva Toachi Sandals. They are on sale at Cabella's for $29.99, I think MSRP is $89.95.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009   #7

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Thanks everyone, I'll pass these on and more as they come in. They have sandals, and have had 2 pairs of river shoes, neither of which have worked for a couple of reasons, and they are tired of buying shoes and having them not work. Hence the attempt at other people's experience. I think the problem was often rubbing sore spots, when wet especially. For both warm and chilly, neo socks would be used when chilly.
Old 11-28-2009   #8

timbuktu, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Chaco's and a back-up pair of NRS booties is all I've ever had. I hear ya on the rub sores. Every year my feet have to adjust to my Chaco's, bout' the time the sores go away, the Chaco heals appear. It's a never ending battle that I've always been willing to accept. I do find either new skin or plain old super glue works the best on both Chaco heal and rub spots for temporary pain relief.
yarmonymatoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009   #9

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2002
I weat chuck taylors mostly. I've had a few pair of chacos fall apart on me mid trip.
TheCanyonWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009   #10

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2002
^^^wear (not weat)
TheCanyonWren is offline   Reply With Quote