Recommend me a hardshell... - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-21-2009   #1

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2009
Recommend me a hardshell...

Newbie here! I'm sure you are all sick of these posts but i'm stoked. Recently moved to Idaho, former avid mountain biker but early onset osteoartheritis in my hips has prevented me from doing what I love. My landlord spends a month out of the year on the water and I tagged along on his last two rafting trips in IK's, took an Aire SuperLynx down the Lower Gorge of the Salmon and a new Aire Force prototype down Hell's Canyon on the Snake (made it through the Green Room at 21,000, what a rush!). Whitewater kayaking is something I definately want to get into, I can still see lots of country while participating in an athletic sport while not killing my hips at the same time. I'm looking to invest in a good hardshell kayak for multi-day whitewater river running. I firmly believe in the buy once, buy right motto and want a quality kayak that would be stable enough for a beginner, yet still be able to tackle the tougher Class IV/V rapids. Any suggestions would be readily welcomed!

PayetteRucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2009   #2

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Check out these boats in your size (which you did not mention):

-Jackson Hero
-Pyranha Burn
-Wave Sport Diesel
-Dagger Mamba
-Liquid Logic Remix

Those are the river runner series which fit most of your criteria as good beginner boats but still able to run the shiat. I would also say demo as much as possible as they will fit and paddle much different and being comfortable, confident in your boat helps the mental side of things.
kayakfreakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009   #3

The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
Take lessons first and you will have a chance to try a bunch of different boats and find out what works for you.
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2009   #4

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakfreakus View Post
Check out these boats in your size (which you did not mention):

-Jackson Hero
-Pyranha Burn
-Wave Sport Diesel
-Dagger Mamba
-Liquid Logic Remix

Those are the river runner series which fit most of your criteria as good beginner boats but still able to run the shiat. I would also say demo as much as possible as they will fit and paddle much different and being comfortable, confident in your boat helps the mental side of things.
sorry, made a mental note to mention size but I guess I still forgot it. I'm 5'10 with a 32 inch inseam, and weigh 175 pounds.
PayetteRucker is offline   Reply With Quote