Raising front bay cover - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-02-2012   #1

Golden, Colorado
Raising front bay cover

I've got a 4 bay set-up on my 16' NRS. I want to put 20mm ammo cans upright in the front bay (similar to Kazak's set-up) but my floor must be higher than his Maravia because the top of the ammo cans extend higher than the frame. I would also like to have the front bay cover (over the ammo cans) to be the same height as my drybox in the second bay to make a nice big lounge area. If I lift the front bay cover (currently a HTPE board but wanting to convert or switch out for a camp counter) about 3 inches off the frame, I can accomplish both. Has anyone done something like this?

blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2012   #2

North Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
I also have a 16' NRS. I saw Kazak's set up and wondered how his cans fit below the tubes. His floor must be lower, I sometimes run 5 cans in the first or second bay and they stick up about 2" to 3" above the frame. I am going to lower my drop bag and see if I can get the cans any lower.
I have been rigging a homemade deck/ table over the cans and that raises them up to the same height as my cooler which is about 18" tall. This makes a huge 4'x7' lounge area covered with two pacos.
nicho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012   #3

North Denver, Colorado
Just looked at some trip photos and my deck/table sits flush on top of the frame with the cans under the deck/table. I have 1 5/8" OD frame. So the cans will sit below the frame. I run five, if I had a bigger drop bag I could get 6 in there. My table is not notched out where the Ts connections are in the frame so it sits up just a little higher above the cans.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2012   #4

Golden, Colorado
Thanks Nicho. Could you post the photos of your set-up?
Old 07-03-2012   #5

North Denver, Colorado
Ya no problem I will try to get them up, I will have to put them on the computer first.
Old 07-10-2012   #6

Golden, Colorado
Nicho,

I hope you don't have time to post the photos because you're too busy boating. But if you do find the time I would be interested in seeing how you are able to fit ammo cans in your first bay.

Thanks.
Old 07-10-2012   #7

Flagstaff, Arizona
Can't you just raise the cans to the level that you want then strap your deck on top of them?
NorthernAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012   #8

Golden, Colorado
I've been told that's not a good thing to do, especially in the first bay, since your cargo can't shift if you hit a rock and your floor is more likely to get pinched. Yes? No? It would probably make the platform less stable for people to sit and stand on also.
Old 07-10-2012   #9

North Denver, Colorado
Hey blutzski, the pics I have are just random trip photos and I can see that the deck is flush with the frame. I would have posted them but I had to put a new hard drive in my computer and can't get photos up they are on the old one. I am heading to Hells Canyon for 10 days in about week. While there I will get some good photos of all my cans and the rig setup. When I get back I will not forget to post them on this thread. Also I put a piece of 3/4" plywood under the cans that is exactly 19"x44" the floor size of a large size drop bag. This keeps all 5 cans flush. I put a 6' strap around each can and strap to the frame and there is a little bit of play in them so they can shift a bit if they need to under the deck. I will get some good detailed photos and put them on here.
Old 07-11-2012   #10

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I'm confused. Your floor is too high, and the cans are still too low? Are the cans bearing on their handles or in a drop bag? You could put plywood or plastic in the bottom of the bag and raise it.

I've placed 3 2x4s on edge to get the table to match the drybox height in the 2nd bay. I had to notch the middle one so the box lid could still open.

If your goal is to sleep on it, make sure your platform doesn't require getting the table back from camp to make the bed.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote