Questions about sleeping bags - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-01-2009   #1

Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Questions about sleeping bags

I am preparing for a trip down the Grand next March-April. How warm a sleeping bag should I get to take?

Also I was wondering if anyone has ever mixed 2 different bags to make a double. I was thinking of getting a 45 degree bag and a 20 degree bad, zipping them together and then depending on the weather we would either have the warmer or cooler bag on top. That way my wife and I would only need 2 bags instead of 4 to get the benefit of different insulation levels. Has anyone tried this and does it work, or would the bags just average out to mid 30 degree double bag?

muttster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2009   #2

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by muttster View Post
I was thinking of getting a 45 degree bag and a 20 degree bad, zipping them together and then depending on the weather we would either have the warmer or cooler bag on top. Has anyone tried this and does it work, or would the bags just average out to mid 30 degree double bag?
I believe it would work well. The bottom bag doesn't do much to keep you warm because the weight of your body compresses the insulation. It is your sleeping pad that insulates you. I have a bag that doesn't have any insulation in the bottom, only a sleeve that holds my pad and it is very warm in cold conditions.
Wadeinthewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009   #3

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
You'd have the issue of having the part of the bag that is supposed to be under your head on top of your head in one of the scenerios. I've done it with unmatching zippers in the past (two lefts instead of a right and a left) and been annoyed with it as you have cold underneath and the floppy 'hood' on top. Just something to think about and try before you go.

A light weight option to adding more warmth on the nights you need it is to consider a silk liner.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
lmaciag is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2009   #4
Kayak/SUP Instructor

The High Ground, Colorado
Check out Wiggy's two bag FTRSS system. Their bags are the best and the owner of the company really knows his stuff. His system is used by Special Operations Forces and if you ever speak to Jerry the owner he will talk your ear off. He's a salt of the earth guy who stands behind his product.

Sleeping Bags

I've slept under the stars at -30 in Alaska for days on end and his bags are all that. Find an Army Poncho Liner and put it inside your bag. It will add quite a bit of warmth and a good skull cap.
Old 09-01-2009   #5

Longmont, Colorado
Thanks for the input. If I go this route it will be with 2 compatible bags from the same manufacturer, so they will be the same size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmaciag View Post
You'd have the issue of having the part of the bag that is supposed to be under your head on top of your head in one of the scenerios. I've done it with unmatching zippers in the past (two lefts instead of a right and a left) and been annoyed with it as you have cold underneath and the floppy 'hood' on top. Just something to think about and try before you go.

A light weight option to adding more warmth on the nights you need it is to consider a silk liner.
Old 09-01-2009   #6

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
If you plan to flip the system, you are going to have the hood issue regardless if they are paired & sized correctly as it is designed to be left/right with the zippers between (thus one person 45, one person 20 in your post), not top/bottom with the zippers on the sides (one temp on top, one temp on bottom).

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
lmaciag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009   #7

Longmont, Colorado
I thought that woulds only be the case with mummy bags. I was planning on using rectangular bag that do not have hoods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmaciag View Post
If you plan to flip the system, you are going to have the hood issue regardless if they are paired & sized correctly as it is designed to be left/right with the zippers between (thus one person 45, one person 20 in your post), not top/bottom with the zippers on the sides (one temp on top, one temp on bottom).
Old 09-01-2009   #8

Duhrango
You can buy a Kelty double bag at REI and they are on sale right now. $89 gets you 2 bags that are designed to zip together. Just bought one. Nice.
Old 09-10-2009   #9

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
I guess none of you do any winter overnight mountaineering?

I have a overbag that will add a additional 20 degrees rating to any bag. I would use this to make my -30 bag into a -50 bag and have slept many a night above 14,000 ft and higher still in BC and Alaska. It has no insulation on the bottom, no zipper and no head cover so it just slips over your primary bag. It might weigh a pound and packs pretty small. With no zippers, it makes for a real warm bag extender and cost me a lot less then my Marmot Down bag!

It is also great for making my 30degree summer bag work for an occasional spring/fall storm. Presto, the 30 bag becomes a 10 degree bag.
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009   #10

I have a light weight bag I use in the summer months working down there which has a sheet on one side and the other is polyfill rated to 45 deg. and it works great! I can fall asleep at night when it is hot with the sheet side up, and in the middle of the night just flip 'rollover' the bag over for the warmth needed in the cool morning. Obviously it is a little harder to flip a bag with 2 people in it but at leat you have the option. Have fun!
mkashzg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bag