I have had my SH since 2011, and done a fair bit of class III/IV river running and creeking in it, and even one self support overnight this spring. I love it. It is a perfect fit for me, (short and wide)
and does what i ask of it and keeps me safe. I would say it is more of a low volume creeker and intermediate all around boat then a 'hairboat'...if you are running big drops and heavy shit, go for a Karma/stomper/burn etc....
I feel pretty solid on almost everything i have done, but in the biggest water i have ever been on (Kern [email protected]
4800cfs on the cables run...the 'easiest' IV section) it started to feel more like a slow ass spud boat, not quite fast enough to punch through stuff as i might have liked. felt kind of like holebait if i got sideways. I was way gripped, but made that run with 2 combat rolls.
my other class IV runs have been on the Rio Grande, and the Arkansas river, some small creeks in NM and Brush Creek in Cali... I feel like it really excels in a small creek bed with micro eddies and tight lines. it turns super quick (takes a few to get used to) boofs like a champ, and punches through features really well. I ran my first and only waterfalls on brush creek, and it was a blast in the SH. Honestly, I have swam on the numbers and several other runs out of it, but thats just me, operator error.
last couple things, first one of utmost importance,
1. the Superhero (and all JK boats except the rockstar series) roll easier and more reliably then any other boats ive ever tried. (2011superhero & 2012 superstar are my current boats, and I had a 4fun and villain L previously)
i am no expert, but i practice rolling a lot since ive had such problems in the past.
2. SH packs up huge for self support. TONS of room. 95 gallons. two futa float bags and water bottles in the stern, and two smaller drybags up front plus campshoes etc...the foot braces slide out on their track to pack the bow. in and out in seconds once you figure them out...(ditched the foam for that trip)
3. outfitting is love it or hate it. i love it. simple and reliable. some others hate it. you'll know soon enough when you get in a JK boat, like it or not.
4. anti shock bulkhead to avoid pitons is a really cool JK creeker feature.
5. SH surfs decently cause it has the semiplaning hull of the 4fun.
I may not get a new creeker for a long time cause this one does it all for me.
faster boat= zen/ remix.
class V creeker = karma/stomper
beginner/all around/and awesome micro-creeker = SH