Question about NRS footbar - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-13-2010   #1

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Question about NRS footbar

So, I have my cooler sitting in front of me and then I've had the footbar directly behind the cooler. My question is do I need to have the footbar there or can I use the cooler in place of the footbar.

Advertisement

Old 09-13-2010   #2

Kayenta, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2006
Take the foot -bar out

So I had the same question when we first got our rig...took it on two trips, a daily and an overnight before i ditched the footbar. Use the cooler bar as my foot rest and wouldn't look back. Gave me more room in the rower's cockpit as well as less of a tripping hazard for myself, girlfriend and dogs on trips. We still have plenty of leverage for rowing hard in big water and we were able to find a happy medium location that fit for both rowers. good luck!

MN
bucket52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010   #3

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Naw.. You dont NEED it. It only takes another 2 inches in the rowing bay, so I use mine. Only bummer is having to turn it around to get it on top of my roof rack.
teletoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2010   #4

you don't need it but it depends on how you like it. I tried a couple trips without mine and decided I like it better with it there. my cooler was just too slippery, even though the footbar isn't exactly grippy the curves are good for purchase. without it a few times through more challenging rapids my foot or feet would either end up under the cooler or wedged in the bailing channel or something. I found I just prefer a more solid surface for when I really want or need to crank on it. it's only a couple inches so it was worth it to me. plus, the lo-pro for my homemade umbrella holder is mounted in the middle of my foot bar. maybe someday I'll spring for the deluxe footbar.

Teletoes, I did the same thing when I roof racked mine before getting a trailer. I replaced the bolts with a couple spring clips so it made it super easy to flip.

the other thing I found is if you have the room and move the footbar a few inches back from the cooler, is that space in between the footbar and back of the cooler is a perfect place to stash a couple 3 gallon water jugs.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010   #5

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
it's nice to have a footbar, especially in big water. Nrs makes a combo footbar/cooler bar--saves space.
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010   #6

Colorado Plateau Metropolis, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post

Teletoes, I did the same thing when I roof racked mine before getting a trailer. I replaced the bolts with a couple spring clips so it made it super easy to flip.
And where do you find these so called spring clips???
portercassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010   #7

Any hardware store has them. Spring clip may not be the right name, spring pin or something. It's just a pin that would fit through the hole with a wire catch that hoops over the top of the bar to keep it from sliding out. They come in all kinds of sizes.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010   #8

Idaho, Wyoming
nrs footbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiff N' Wett View Post
So, I have my cooler sitting in front of me and then I've had the footbar directly behind the cooler. My question is do I need to have the footbar there or can I use the cooler in place of the footbar.
another option is to bring your existing foot bar to a welder and have him weld a piece straight accross. last spring i had this done to my fishing seat (see attatched) and i will have the foot bar done this winter. this allows me to remove the 2 straight crossbars and still use my table and drop bag set up.

i supplied 3' of pipe i had laying around ($12 from nrs?) and the welding was $50.
billfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010   #9

Moab, Utah
I think the footbar is awkward and slippery. We don't use them on our commercial rigs, and I prefer the space. I will kick my leg up on my front hatch (same-ish height as your cooler I'd bet) to brace during big moves. I use hose clamps to secure a pvc cross piece for my umbrella onto the bar just in front of me, and I will kick off of that.
Old 09-15-2010   #10

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmielou View Post
I think the footbar is awkward and slippery. We don't use them on our commercial rigs, and I prefer the space. I will kick my leg up on my front hatch (same-ish height as your cooler I'd bet) to brace during big moves. I use hose clamps to secure a pvc cross piece for my umbrella onto the bar just in front of me, and I will kick off of that.
Grip tape works great on the kick bar.
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote