Question about crossover - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-16-2018   #1

Question about crossover

Hey,
Getting a little long in the tooth, so I am thinking about picking up a downriver boat, getting rid of my Jackson 4fun and my Pyranna. Thinking about getting a LL Stinger or Remix. My goals are just to get down river or get exercise on lake. Maybe also do a bucket list Grand Canyon trip. Any thoughts or recommendations? My wife of 3 years is going to just want a stable boat. Opinions wanted?????

Thanks,

Rob

4robmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2018   #2
My name isn't Will

Willamette Valley, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1997
Have you heard that Dagger is making a 30th anniversary edition of the RPM? Get one! https://www.dagger.com/us/kayaks/rpm.
Will Amette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018   #3

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Try a Jackson Kayak Karma Traverse.

Holds more gear than a longboat, and maintains a great compromise between speed and maneuverability.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2018   #4

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
Remix is the best all around river runner. If you want to do self support, you may need a different type of boat. The Remix has enough room for an overnight.
jones boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018   #5

Boise, Idaho
I paddled a remix 69 for perhaps 10 years (bought on 2nd year they were out). Very very good river runner. Sometimes it was a bit hard for me to carve back when trying to surf a fast wave, but if get situated on the wave it's a great surfer....and IMO that's important with a river runner. I little more edge would help.

I chime in because I'd like to make it clear that the remix 69 is an excellent kayak to self support out of. I've done up to 5 night with no problem. I think I could do a week. I think many others would agree.

These boats should cheap on the used market....they are here in Boise. Worth considering unless something else just looks more fun....i.e. stern squirty.
ID Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018   #6

Thanks for the feedback everyone, appreciated.
4robmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018   #7

x, x
Paddling Since: x
What level do you paddle rivers at? Is her boat for the lake only? You should get a dynamic duo!! Hardest part would be loading it on the car. Your 60~ ish married for only 3 years? Get a duo, neither of you would expect what comes next. It’d be great for lakes and overnighters and down river she gets to go too! Duo it! Live a little.
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018   #8

Professional Transient, See above.
I second getting a crossover boat- something like a Jackson Traverse or Karma RG. The crossover boats can still paddle whitewater, have plenty of room for multidays, and many have a retractable skeg. The skeg is AWESOME for helping the boat go straight. When I'm paddling around on a lake, I find that the super turny whitewater boats use a lot more energy just to keep them straight.

I own a Karma RG for luxurious multidays (so bringing a break down fire pan, folding chair, full tent, maybe a soft cooler with ice, groover tube if required, etc) when not going ultralight (sleeping under a tarp) or running rapids I find challenging. It's a blast, and makes camping w/ the gf much more civilized. Fast on whitewater. Goes straight on flatwater.
st2eelpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018   #9
trvlrerik

Salina, Kansas
Paddling Since: 2002
I have tried crossovers

I have tried most of the available crossovers, most dont do anything well, either WW or flat water. I just sold my Stinger due to its weight and high volume nose that plows like a bath tub. I have set a self imposed weight of 55lbs to make loading onto my pickup roof rack relatively easy. (I am 54 years old)

I am have ordered a Soul Waterman District 11, it is a cross between the LL Stinger with a nose like a Pyrahna Speeder. I have not paddled it yet. It is primarily designed as a down river WW runner, but video of the boat on flat water looks like it moves pretty well on the flat. It has a skeg like the Stinger, and weights 20lbs less. I have hope that it will be better than an average crossover in WW, and be acceptable on flat sections.
I wish you luck finding a true crossover, I have not been satisfied yet, hoping the district 11 is the right mix of designs for me.
trvlrerik is offline   Reply With Quote