Pyranha "Everest," Anybody seen it and/or paddled it yet???? - Mountain Buzz
 

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking > Kayaking | Gear Talk


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-25-2008   #1
 
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1492
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 286
Pyranha "Everest," Anybody seen it and/or paddled it yet????

Pyranha's new Everest looks promising, but up here in the land of continuous powder (565 inches this year so far....) we aren't seeing any new boats in the shops any time soon. Wondering if anybody had a chance to paddle the protos last summer/fall, or if there's enough water running somewhere out west and somebody has been in it yet. The "reviews" in the latest Paddler are too brief, although I know enough about "Robe Canyon" to know it's a pretty serious test of any boat. Wondering also, if anyone has broken one yet. I've broken a number of Pyranhas, and this would be my biggest hesitation at buying one. But, if it is the s*&t, I'd be willing to give it a go. Any hands-on feedback greatly appreciated.

__________________
So many rivers, so little time..........
WyoPadlr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-26-2008   #2
 
Boyertown, Pennsylvania
Paddling Since: 2007
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoPadlr1 View Post
Pyranha's new Everest looks promising, but up here in the land of continuous powder (565 inches this year so far....) we aren't seeing any new boats in the shops any time soon. Wondering if anybody had a chance to paddle the protos last summer/fall, or if there's enough water running somewhere out west and somebody has been in it yet. The "reviews" in the latest Paddler are too brief, although I know enough about "Robe Canyon" to know it's a pretty serious test of any boat. Wondering also, if anyone has broken one yet. I've broken a number of Pyranhas, and this would be my biggest hesitation at buying one. But, if it is the s*&t, I'd be willing to give it a go. Any hands-on feedback greatly appreciated.

I believe I saw some reviews of it from the NC boys on BoaterTalk, you might want to try there. Not positive but I think I remember a review or two over there.
cbieh589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008   #3
gh
 
pnw, Colorado
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,408
There is also a good review in the new paddler magazine.
__________________
"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-26-2008   #4
 
Meng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 787
Here's a resource on the Everest and shows Pyranha's new 08 colors: Pyranha Everest Kayak

I will take it out for a paddle soon and try to post some feedback on this thread.
Meng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008   #5
 
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1492
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by gh View Post
There is also a good review in the new paddler magazine.
Like I said in the beginning, I thought the "reviews" in Paddler were kind of a joke. Did you read the creds of the 3 guys that reviewed the boats? I've been paddling longer than the 3 of them combined, and I'm not sure I'd trust my own reviews .
__________________
So many rivers, so little time..........
WyoPadlr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008   #6
 
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1492
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meng View Post
Here's a resource on the Everest and shows Pyranha's new 08 colors: Pyranha Everest Kayak

I will take it out for a paddle soon and try to post some feedback on this thread.
Thanks for the link, but Pyranha's website is better than that. I have also seen the video on YouTube of the guy plopping travertine waterfalls in Mexico. I'm hoping someone had one in New Zealand or Chile this winter, something like that.
__________________
So many rivers, so little time..........
WyoPadlr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008   #7
gh
 
pnw, Colorado
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,408
Sorry, should have read your entire post. I just wasnt as quick to discredit their opinions based on experience.
__________________
"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008   #8
 
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1492
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by gh View Post
Sorry, should have read your entire post. I just wasnt as quick to discredit their opinions based on experience.
No worries. Wasn't trying to diss ya, or necessarily trash talk the 'reviewers' either. I just had a really good friend who used to work at Paddler, and he was always really cynical when we talked about how their "boat reviews" were truly carried out and how unrealistic the feedback could be. I mean, if I worked at Paddler and had the opportunity to truly review boats for publication, I'd damn well take 'em out and pound the crap out of 'em. I'd take new creek/expedition boats down the Big South, the Popo Agie, the NF Payette, and the Clark's Fork Yellowstone, then I'd write a review I'd take a playboat down the Snake when Lunch Counter is going off, then drop down to Big Sur, then out to Skook, and get my final impression with a couple of days on the Ottawa Hey, that's what they're getting paid to do, right? Paddle boats and write reviews and stories......
There is a very short review on BoaterTalk from a guy who took one to India/Nepal. Again, sounds promising, but no one is talking about how they are holding up to the typical abuse paddlers here in CO/WY/ID/CA can give a good creek boat. That is what worries me about Pyranha: not a good durability track record among me and my friends at all.....
__________________
So many rivers, so little time..........
WyoPadlr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Topic Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
anyone paddled a Stearns "Pivot"? yetigonecrazy Whitewater Kayaking 4 10-29-2008 08:19 PM
what happened to the "CO Front Range Chapter of Backcountry Snowsports Alliance" Waterwindpowderrock Winter Buzz 19 10-26-2007 08:45 AM
1st "Teaser" for "Hotel Charley... River of D thecraw Whitewater Kayaking 4 02-09-2007 05:42 PM
"For sale", "want to buy" postings?????? weeMac Support & Feedback 1 08-12-2006 01:14 PM
Lost Pyranha I:3 7'3" light green/ with dark patches curtiswebb Lost & Found 0 07-14-2005 10:00 AM

» Classified Ads
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.