Pyranha - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-20-2011   #1

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Pyranha

do pyranha boats really leak as much as some people say? Assuming your skirt is dry? Thanks

Mmcquillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2011   #2

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Let me first say that I really like Pyranha boats...their designs and outfitting are great. I have a 420 and a Burn.

Leakage is less of a concern in the Burn, since it tends to ride higher in the water, but both have the same problem: just under the cockpit rim where the skirt is supposed to seal a screwhead protrudes which opens a little gap between the skirt and the boat. I have to dump the 420 every half-hour or so. I should probably measure it someday, but I'm guessing it's a two or three gallons every time.

I contacted Pyranha to ask if they had any suggestions and they recommended a Snapdragon lip-lock skirt. I bought one, which helped a little, but I'm still dumping way more than anyone I boat with. I also bought some foam rim tape from Bomber Gear which was supposed to solve the problem. Again, a minor improvement.

So, all other things being equal, I'd select another boat. But the bottom line is that I'm planning to get wet anyway, so if I like their boat better, I'll probably buy it.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011   #3

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I agree with Paul. My last pyranha boat leaked like hell. I worked really hard to fix it, never got it anywhere near good-enough.
eklars is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2011   #4

Montrose, Colorado
I haven't heard that Pyranha's leak. I have used a Burn and/or H3 with a WildWasser skirt for the past few seasons and stay pretty much bone-dry. Only time I took on a lot of water was when the H3 got a crack under the cockpit rim... hope that's not your issue.
Duckins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011   #5

Boulder, Colorado
I was thinking one of their creekboats like the burn.
Mmcquillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011   #6

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I paddle an Ammo and use a Mountain Surf Dur-O-Ring skirt, and it stays bone dry. Even with lots of rolls and playing waves. The only water I get in comes through my dry-top gaskets and that is minimal.
lmyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011   #7

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
You should be OK with the creek boat. The cockpit rim isn't underwater near as much as in a playboat.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011   #8

I stay dry in my Pyranha boats. I use or have used the Burn, Ammo, Karnali, and Fusion regularly for river running and they all stay dry. I use a snap dragon armortex skirt.

If you plan to playboat and creekboat then you may need to invest in two skirts. My XL or L skirt that I use on my creekboat works great, unless I put it on my 4twenty. Thus, I have a smaller skirt that I only use on a playboat rim, and never stretch nor loan out.

Any boat that you buy new should keep you dry, assuming that you have a well-fitted spray skirt to match.
Old 02-21-2011   #9

The next zone, .
Cutch is spot on.

My molan and burn are both bone dry but I have the proper skirt for both. In fact my brother who paddles a star has more water in his boat than I do after we paddle the park here in BV. I can honestly say that both the new burn and the molan are 2 of the driest boats that I have ever owned.

Hope it helps...
Old 02-21-2011   #10

Hood River, Oregon
they leak...

I have a med burn and it can be leaky if you use just a standard bungee or rand skirt, but I use a IR klingon sprayskirt on it, and it seams to keep a good bit of the water out. Its a lip-lock style skirt thats a lot easier to put on than the other lip-lock styles I have used. It seals the water out by wrapping the neoprene around the bungee, which also increases the surface area that forms the seal. Its pretty sweet.
The burn is a sick design though. I don't think I'll ever own a different creek boat again. The newer design is still pretty fast, and carves into eddies like its on rails- its a fun boat for sure!
kayak2the9 is offline   Reply With Quote