Pumps - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-24-2012   #1

Lemooreq, California
Paddling Since: 1969
Pumps

I've been using a portable 120Vac compressor, 125PSI, 3-gallon, 4SCFM @ 40PSI to inflate my tubes to about 1PSI, then a K-Pump to top off after rigging. I want a 12 volt pump I can run off the vehicle for remote assembly and see there's a wide variety to pick from. Am I on the right track when I think what I need is one that is high CFM and low pressure? All one needs is a few PSI max, its the CFM that's important?
Like this: http://www.amazon.com/RAVE-Sports-Pr...7865263&sr=8-6
This one puts out 12 CFM, that'd fill my tubes pretty quickly.
Tell me I'm FOS?

pvsprme is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2012   #2

Searching for water....., Idaho
There are lots of good pumps out there that will work. The one you linked may work just fine. I use an LVM Inflator and it works great but not as quiet as they claim. Another good option is the Magic-Air. I have used both. The LVM is faster but suseptable to overheating, the Magic-air can seemingly run forever. I would get a quality pump because you dont want to be out there pumping up your whole raft with the k-pump.

LVM-

https://www.cascadeoutfitters.com/in...778091&framein=

Magic Air-

https://www.cascadeoutfitters.com/in...778091&framein=

There are also large barrel pumps that can make quick work of a reasonable sized boat.
Pinned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012   #3

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
My Magic Air is going on its 9th season. Good pump.

My only "complaint" is that it only has a 10' long power cord, which doesn't quite reach both ends of a 16' raft. If you're inflating solo and the rest of your crew is getting gear ready, you have to drag the raft on the ground...or I've also used the hose off of my NRS pump to extend it. I should put a 3-4' extension on the cord.

I've used LVM's but never owned one--if they overheat, do they die?
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2012   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I have that orange magic air pump and it works OK if you like hanging at the put-in. SLOOOOW to inflate.

My Cheap ass, noisy, 12v coleman inflatable mattress pump blows the thing up as fast as a shop vac, is about 4 seasons old, and still works fine. $12. buy two.
Whoapiglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012   #5

this ^^^^

barring getting an NRS gusto pump or the likes that will come close to topping a raft, the cheapie coleman air mattress pumps work like a charm. You will still need to top but it can get your boat to 80% in like five minutes which was alot less than my old magic air.

For those who have cord length issues (dont we all?) go to radio shack or wall mart and you can buy a power cord extension for the cords that plug into a ciggarette lighter. About 10 bucks for another 10 or so feet.
tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012   #6

Carbondale, Colorado
I've got the NRS blast inflator. Works ok, but has never got close to the claimed 1.5 psi rating...still requires topping off by hand. I recently got a Rave Sports high speed inflator/deflator that claimed to reach 3 psi. Doesn't get close to that, but better than the NRS (120v, not a 12v). I keep my raft trailered and partially inflated. If I go out first thing in the morning when it is still cold and top it off as far as the Rave pump will fill it, by the time it's 55 degrees out, I'm at 2.3 psi and ready to go. It takes less than 5 minutes to top off my raft this way. I haven't used my barrel pump yet this year, which makes me happy.
watermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012   #7

Kalispell, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoapiglet View Post
I have that orange magic air pump and it works OK if you like hanging at the put-in. SLOOOOW to inflate.

My Cheap ass, noisy, 12v coleman inflatable mattress pump blows the thing up as fast as a shop vac, is about 4 seasons old, and still works fine. $12. buy two.
I like the way you think. Hmm...

I have 2 kids.

If I had 2 pumps, I could just turn them loose and focus on other tasks.

Love it!

For home use, I have a 8hp/80gal air compressor and 100' of 3/8" hose.
Old 05-24-2012   #8

Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
If you want to go on the cheap, I picked up one of these, SEVYLOR 12 Volt Mini Inflator. It works fine, fills my tubes quickly and top off with my barrel pump. It is compact and easy to use. It warms up pretty quick, so if you are filling more than one boat it would likely burn out. The hand feel is cheap, the look is cheap and the price is cheap, but so far is has worked well. I'm not one for buying disposable goods, but at this point if I get one season out of it I can get 10 seasons in for the same price as the fancy inflators.
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012   #9

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner

For home use, I have a 8hp/80gal air compressor and 100' of 3/8" hose.
I thought about doing that but your compressor probably spits a fine mist of oils into your boat, probably not a good thing
Old 05-24-2012   #10

Kalispell, Montana
Filter FTW!