Protecting my huge brain; WRSI? - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-01-2010   #1
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Protecting my huge brain; WRSI?

I'm buying a new helmet. I've had the standard Shred Ready skull cap for 10 years and now I want something that doesn't leave my forehead exposed when I swim. I'm really pumped about the WRSI helmets because of the multiple impact protection, the helmet staying in place, and the super cheapness (55 bones with the pro deal).

Is this where it's at? I don't care how it looks. If I did I'd wear the Sweet Yankees cap, but that seems more likely to sweep back and expose the forehead to rocky trauma. I want the safest helmet available that doesn't look like something Darth Vader would wear. If I buy it I'm going to get the ear protection and face mask for my "hold my beer and watch this" moments, but generally will boat without them.

I run an inflatable kayak on class III and IV very often. I raft guide some and raft Gore once a year. I'm building a riverboard from something I bought at the thrift store. I swim a lot and am really trying to learn to roll the duck. I also drink irresponsibly. I REALLY need good head protection, but I'm not convinced that I need a NASA engineered carbon fiber helmet with laser rock deterrent technology to protect my simple brain. Hell I might be happier with a little bell ringing....

I've read the threads on here about WRSI but I figured people have had a chance to use them more by now. Plus it's winter and you f#c*ers are as bored as me so please share your wealth of knowledge.

~R

Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2010   #2

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I have a WRSI helmet and love it. It is comfortable, stays in place, and most importantly protects my head. I took two significant shots to the helmet last year, one in Elevenmile Canyon and the other in #5, they both left very large scratches, but otherwise left the helmet (and my head) in good shape. I would recommend them.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010   #3

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I would go to a store and try one on if possible. I know there system is very adjustable and works great for most, but have a couple buddies who never got them to work and ended up buying a different helmet. Could be operator error too, but if I remember right, its a strapping almost suspension setup kinda inside the helmet like some climbing lids.
kayakfreakus is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2010   #4

Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
Can't beat em for the $$$. I've paddled with one for a couple years and I friggen love it. SUPER comfy and I always feel safe........well, as safe as can be expected, I guess. I've never had the ear protectors or the face mask....probably should get em.

Can't comment on the combat impact though.....haven't hit my head in a few (jinx).....but I do repeatedly slam things against my head while it's on to test its bomberness.
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010   #5

gypsy, Colorado
Paddling Since: 02
I have been in my WRSI for 3 years and have taken a few shots during that time, never once did I have the idea I was going to get knocked out or for that matter even have a headache. I was using the face mask for awhile and while it looks good it does not stay in place on large drops, I wore it all winter last year in mexico and it started poping up on some of the bigger drop I scense have just gone with the normal helmet and keep that chin toucked in, Hope this helps, WRSI helmets are the only kind I will wear now, if you are going to trust a helmet this is the one.
Baer
Where is Baer ?
BAER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010   #6
Kjirsten

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
I've had mine for 2 years and I love it. It's VERY comfortable and that's with the padding that was in it when I bought it- they also gave me extra padding just in case that I haven't used. The visor not only protects the forehead but keeps out some glare which I really like because I don't like the way sunglasses flatten out the lines in a rapid.

I fortunately haven't tried it in combat mode, but I have been jostled and the helmet stays in place without pinching my neck or sliding over my eyes.
"There is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Look here! If you've really nothing else on hand this morning, supposing we drop down the river together, and have a long day of it?" -Wind in the Willows
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010   #7
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Someone else mentioned it above, but there are some people who can't seem to get the fit right for their heads. It's worked well for me though. Amazingly I still have not taken any hits with it which I chalk up to the rock repellent coating they use on the shell. The back strap system really seems to work well in keeping the helmet from sliding back on the head. That back piece can irritate the back of your head/neck though. It doesn't bother me anymore either because I have more hair back there now or my skin toughened up, but it did at first. I've seen some people add some foam for padding.

As for the face mask, I have not had issues with it coming loose. If you're going as big as Baer seems to then I could see that it might be a problem, but I'm not hucking 80 footers. I've run OBJ with it on though and it stayed solid even when I over rotated off the big waterfall.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010   #8

Northern Utah, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
I second the "try one on" before you buy. I picked up two last spring for my kids and ended up using one for much of the summer - I really like the fit and how it stays put and protects the forehead. But it's a bit narrow for my head, and very tight when I have a skull cap on. I use the thinnest set of inserts that came with it, and had to remove two small side inserts around the ear/temple area to make it bearable.

You're welcome to take either of mine out and try it out. PM me and I can meet you in FoCo one of these days.
FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010   #9
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Sweet. I'm sold. I'm going to get one for me and one for my special lady friend. Thanks everyone!

And Kjirsten. I miss you guys. Promise you'll come Poodrin' this year. The way the snowpack looks we may see hundreds of CFS...
Old 02-02-2010   #10
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatmanZ View Post
I second the "try one on" before you buy. I picked up two last spring for my kids and ended up using one for much of the summer - I really like the fit and how it stays put and protects the forehead. But it's a bit narrow for my head, and very tight when I have a skull cap on. I use the thinnest set of inserts that came with it, and had to remove two small side inserts around the ear/temple area to make it bearable.

You're welcome to take either of mine out and try it out. PM me and I can meet you in FoCo one of these days.
That's why they call you the fatman!

I have a friend down the street with one I'm going to try on. He has dreadlocks and his fits him. On second thought I might not want to try his on.