Pros and cons of a dropstitch IK floor vs a regular air floor? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking > Kayaking | Gear Talk

Old 11-17-2015   #1

Enfield, New Hampshire
Paddling Since: 1990
Pros and cons of a dropstitch IK floor vs a regular air floor?

Specifically with reference to the seaeagle explorer series [dropst], and the tomcat series [regular]. Thanks,

Jimmy.

JIMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2015   #2
Jared

Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
I'm fat, I max out a Trib 1. With my weight, I have paddled them safely on class III to III+ with no issue. I didn't have a low floor or unwanted flexing. They are pretty solid boats. No experience with the Sea Eagle.
Old 11-18-2015   #3

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I have a few friends who paddle SeaEagle Explorers for touring on class I rivers and on lakes. They like them and they seem to paddle nice with the skeg. I've never seen a Sea Eagle on whitewater.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2015   #4
Paddling in to the Future

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
no experience with the sea eagle, but I like drop stitch floors over ibeam floors, just because they are stiffer and you don't get any bend in big water. plus it's fun to stand up and do back flips off of them and stuff. :-p
Old 11-19-2015   #5

Enfield, New Hampshire
https://youtu.be/CU29rK8rAdg

heres a short vid of a broach onto a rock in my dropstitch floor kayak . I was able to work it off the rock because the floor stayed stiff. With a regular air floor I would have had to swim out as it would have definitely wrapped around and flipped me out.
Old 11-19-2015   #6

Aurora, Colorado
Don't know this model, but in general drop stitched floors can be run at higher pressures. The downside is that they weigh more.
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015   #7

Enfield, New Hampshire
the floor on this IK weighs much less than an air floor.
Old 11-20-2015   #8

Boise, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMM View Post
the floor on this IK weighs much less than an air floor.
maybe a little more than an ibeam floor, but yes, probably weighs less than a floor in an Aire IK. just because of all that a floor in an Aire IK consists of.. lots more material in those floors. I do love my dropstitch floors though. whole boat weighs like 29lbs. not a lot to complain about there. especially with a capacity of 400lbs.
Old 11-20-2015   #9

Enfield, New Hampshire
I weigh around 205-208 lbs with gear and have zero issues with floatation but I think the advertised 400 lbs load is a bit of a stretch, especially considering the tubes are only around 10"s at max inflation. What do you think?
Old 11-20-2015   #10

Boise, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMM View Post
I weigh around 205-208 lbs with gear and have zero issues with floatation but I think the advertised 400 lbs load is a bit of a stretch, especially considering the tubes are only around 10"s at max inflation. What do you think?
it might be just a bit of a stretch. just screwing around I've had my teenage daughter sitting behind me. we do ride quite low. I wouldn't want to run anything slightly technical with that much weight. but it does float.

on the salmon river this last summer, I had a small soft cooler up front, and one of aire's kayak cargo bags in the back that carried my clothes, sleeping bag and personal belongings in it, so I had a good amount of cargo for a solo IK. it handled very well. but throwing an additional 200lbs in there would be horrible.