Propane fire - how much propane? - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-12-2011   #1

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Propane fire - how much propane?

I'm bringing a Woodland power stove setup for propane fires on the Grand Canyon this spring. My question is how much propane do people find they use with these? I calculate that if we have a 1.5 hour fire at full blast, we'll use 4 lbs of propane per fire. That sounds crazy high, I can't imagine using that much, but I don't know what it takes for those logs to really seem like a nice fire. For those of you that have used these, what you do recommend or what have you seen?

Advertisement

Old 11-12-2011   #2
BCJ

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Took me a long time to accept it, but fires are a luxury and not entirely necessary. Once you accept that, the idea of hauling extra steel and gas to have a propane fire begins takes on new meaning.

Those 3-candle "Candelabra" units put out plenty of light to sit around and enjoy the evening. Likewise, a small, single mantle Primus lantern, backed by starlight or the moon, provides plenty of ambience.

Just my opinion. The Woodland will definitely use a bunch of gas. On high it burns 30,000 btu. According to Answers.com, a gallon of propane (4.23 lbs) can produce 91,500 BTUs, about 3 hours + on high. So a 20 lb propane bottle will run roughly 15 hours on high.

I'd rather relax around a candle or small lantern and enjoy the stars and moonlight than worry about how much propane I have left, not to mention crowding my boat with the extra weight.

Travel light, ease your burdens. Or bring some real wood and have a few selective small fires on some nights.
BCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011   #3

vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
do you have the logs? I didn't purchase any for mine because most of the rivers with burn regs don't allow this. I'm sure GC is different.

It cost about $15 to refill a tank. I'd test everything before you go - rather than trust someone recollection of how it worked. If you have a scale, weigh the tank, run it at a party, and report back the propane consumption rate for your fireplace ...
or if you have one of those nifty clearviews, you can easily gauge the consumption based on levels.

FYI Uhaul online seems to have the best price on the clearview tanks. $85 for the 10lb and $90 for the 20lb which you probably would want for a grand trip. (same price as amazon.com for the 20)

U-Haul: Moving supplies: Lite Cylinder Propane Cylinders
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2011   #4

Christopher Creek, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1969
With the woodland unit in campfire mode, a "choker" plate is put in place that reduces the airflow thus producing a less efficient yellow flame. It seems to me that the fire produced is just as nice when set at a lowered flame because the stove is less noisy and uses far less fuel that way. On high or low, the unit does not produce much warmth so its flame is mostly for the ambience. I have not used the unit on a nightly basis so cannot help with fuel use calcs but would assume a #20 tank would do at least a week and maybe two when used throttled back.
fdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011   #5
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
The Power Stove with logs uses very little fuel. It's quiet when used as a campfire and is nowhere near the high output use used for cooking - which also lasts surprisingly long. Bring one extra propane bomb and you'll get 10 or more nights at least, probably the whole trip. Two and you're more than set and have some extra propane should someone lose a tank. This is from my experience using this setup, which I own, in the Grand Canyon. Don't listen to the naysayers, it was a treat to have when we've not been able to build a fire. However, don't count on it as your water boiler AND your fire. Bring a second blaster or Power Stove for that.

You'll enjoy using the little stove, but bring a bunch of firewood too, you'll be glad you did. Also, bring extra stakes for the power stove.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011   #6

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Have you thought about burning Java-Logs? They burn for two or three hours each (depending on which you buy), are 100% recycled, have a low ash content, and are inexpensive compared to a gas log setup.
Nessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011   #7

Silt, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I use the coleman logs. You can buy them at wal-mart for around $3.50 each, and they burn 6-8 hours. They dont spark. They come in a fairly water proof wrap, i still put them in a trash bag inside of a gunny sack. But its a great way to have a fire and not pack a huge amount of wood. Next time im going to try cutting one in half to see if i can cut the burn time down. Wish i could party for 8 hours but i usually am in bed long before the log quits burning.
Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011   #8

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randaddy View Post
The Power Stove with logs uses very little fuel. It's quiet when used as a campfire and is nowhere near the high output use used for cooking - which also lasts surprisingly long. Bring one extra propane bomb and you'll get 10 or more nights at least, probably the whole trip. Two and you're more than set and have some extra propane should someone lose a tank. This is from my experience using this setup, which I own, in the Grand Canyon. Don't listen to the naysayers, it was a treat to have when we've not been able to build a fire. However, don't count on it as your water boiler AND your fire. Bring a second blaster or Power Stove for that.

You'll enjoy using the little stove, but bring a bunch of firewood too, you'll be glad you did. Also, bring extra stakes for the power stove.
Good tip Randy, about taking two powerstoves/blasters. We do have two available within our group and I hadn't even thought of the conflict between boiling water and having a fire. Good thing the actual stove is small and light so we'll probably take two. I think I calculated something like 3 bombs for 21 nights of fire at full blast for 1.5 hours per fire. So I like your recommendation on 2 bombs for 20 nights, that seems more realistic and it's good to know you don't really run it on high.
Old 11-13-2011   #9
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Oh you don't even run it close to high. I would guess that ideal campfire is 5% of max output of the WPS, 10% for big fire. The little logs are nice, but hardly anyone carries them anymore so have your local shop order some several weeks in advance.

I'm jealous. Spring in the Grand Canyon is sweet! You'll be glad to have fires for the long, cool evenings.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011   #10
BCJ

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Mmmm.... I like the Coleman/Java log idea. At least you get a little heat. Love campfires, just not the mess. Tried artificial fire (propane). In the end, it was a short-lived idea and the novelty wore off. Wasn't a WPS system, but same principles applied - - too much weight, equipment, tinkering, etc. to be meaningful over time.
BCJ is offline   Reply With Quote