Project X buying and advice - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-11-2015   #1

Winnipeg, Manitoba
Paddling Since: 2012
Project X buying and advice

Alright a green member here, bear with me

So Ive wanted to get into playboating (currently only paddle a Stomper 90), got a line on buying a Project X 64 for $850 brand new. literally has only been in a pool. Seems like a pretty awesome deal, but I was kinda wondering what peoples opinions were of the boat in general? It may not have been my first choice but its in my top 5 for sure. Its going to get a fair amount of flat water use (pools in the winter) as well as waves

Im 6'2" and 210lb for reference.

Thanks in advance

vanhuette is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2015   #2

Grand Junction, Colorado
Im about 6 foot and 230 and the X was a great boat I wish i never got rid of it very stable easy to carve and do flat water tricks I think 850 is alittle steep since its no longer in production but it is an awesome boat still has current design to it I dont think you would be disappointed
flipper42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015   #3

Winnipeg, Manitoba
Alright fair enough, I know the boat is a few years old but my reasoning was saving 1/3 of the cost on a basically brand new boat was a pretty solid deal.

I don't know enough about play boats to know how well the "tech" of the project X design holds up to brand new play boats right now. Ive heard a lot of people say that its still a pretty modern design ... as a newbie to playboating I'm not sure if I would be able to tell the difference between the project X and say a Jitsu or Rockstar (the other boats I was considering)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2015   #4

carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhuette View Post
Alright fair enough, I know the boat is a few years old but my reasoning was saving 1/3 of the cost on a basically brand new boat was a pretty solid deal.

I don't know enough about play boats to know how well the "tech" of the project X design holds up to brand new play boats right now. Ive heard a lot of people say that its still a pretty modern design ... as a newbie to playboating I'm not sure if I would be able to tell the difference between the project X and say a Jitsu or Rockstar (the other boats I was considering)
That boat is plenty "tech" enough for you a newb and for most seasoned boaters.
It's fun to paddle and does all the tricks.
$850 is too much to pay for any boat that is used and has been paddled before even if just in a pool. Offer 700 and stay firm. That boat was discontinued in 2013, not worth $850 unless it's still in the wrapper.
onefatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015   #5

Winnipeg, Manitoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by onefatdog View Post
$850 is too much to pay for any boat that is used and has been paddled before even if just in a pool. Offer 700 and stay firm. That boat was discontinued in 2013, not worth $850 unless it's still in the wrapper.
Fair enough thanks for the reply. I already talked them down from their original price (wanted almost retail) but maybe ill try to go lower. Theres just about 0 used boat market around here so it seems my only other option is to buy new, so I'm a bit hesitant to walk away from this one unless I have good reason to throw down an extra $4-500.
Old 10-11-2015   #6

Fort Collins, Chico Ca, brevard nc, California
Paddling Since: 2006
you could pick up a project 62 for $250, i seen them around here and there for that. I'm 6'4 210 took one down the grand--super comfy. It surfs like a dream and boofs like a boss.
Jhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015   #7

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
I got a brand new X 56 (2012 model) for $600 or $650 earlier this year. Cant quite remember - but that was a deal! $800 not so much. You could buy a practically new rockstar for that much if you wait around.
mattoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015   #8

Winnipeg, Manitoba
Ya I have seen better deals than this on used boats in good condition, unfortunately none are anywhere near me. and our CDN $ is absolutely terrible right now if looking in the states hahaha. There isn't a huge kayaking scene around here and therefore no used boat market, which sucks cause I don't really have options. Even buying new I would have to order in.
Old 10-12-2015   #9

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhuette View Post
Ya I have seen better deals than this on used boats in good condition, unfortunately none are anywhere near me. and our CDN $ is absolutely terrible right now if looking in the states hahaha. There isn't a huge kayaking scene around here and therefore no used boat market, which sucks cause I don't really have options. Even buying new I would have to order in.
Ehh, yeah. Golden, CO is a little different than Manitoba for buying kayaks.
mattoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015   #10

Glen Vegas, Florida
Paddling Since: 92
Right, you gotta put all this in perspective. In New Zealand that boat would probably go for $1200. In CO, you might be able to scoop it for $400. Supply and demand.
Pizzle is offline   Reply With Quote