Pressure cooker - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-24-2009   #1

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Pressure cooker

Going to swap out one of my dutch ovens for eight qt. pressure cooker to use on the river. Cook in one third of the time, like corn beef, potatoes for mash potatoes, etc. Never used one on the river.

raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2009   #2
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
They make one hell of a mushroomed gravey moose or elk roast
We use it at home to cook a pork roast fast for shredded pork tacos!
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009   #3

SE, Wyoming
I've got an old Presto kitchen p-cooker and a larger aluminum one about 8 qt. Also a compact one intended for use on a campstove on expeditions, where locally-available beans, rice, etc. don't cook very well at high elevations.

The one cautionary note is that someone should be watching the p-cooker and adjusting the temp at close intervals— the semi-chaotic nature of cocktail hour and river cookery is quite often at odds with this. I'd designate a pressure-meister for every use.

If it blows up, severe punishment and humiliation is in order.
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2009   #4

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
I've got an old Presto kitchen p-cooker and a larger aluminum one about 8 qt. Also a compact one intended for use on a campstove on expeditions, where locally-available beans, rice, etc. don't cook very well at high elevations.

The one cautionary note is that someone should be watching the p-cooker and adjusting the temp at close intervals— the semi-chaotic nature of cocktail hour and river cookery is quite often at odds with this. I'd designate a pressure-meister for every use.

If it blows up, severe punishment and humiliation is in order.
A friend asked me what I wanted for X-mas. She uses a pressure cooker quiet a bit, I was amazed how fast they cook. So if I do not like it I can go back to the dutch oven. But thought it would be good for some different meals on the river.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009   #5

SE, Wyoming
They rock for saving money and prep cooking, e.g. taking dry beans rather than canned and cooking potatoes, chicken parts, and such in a matter of minutes.

But you have to keep a close watch. Some of my spaced-out friends have blown them up. Not an experience you want.
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote