Portage - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-09-2008   #1

Weyers Cave, Virginia
Paddling Since: 2001
Send a message via AIM to Slunk
Portage

So has anyone actually used the NRS Kayak Sherpa?

or similar type rig? Those plastic buckles don't look very strong or durable....

I live just about a mile from my local float and I don't like driving to and from a place that I can see in my front yard.

Slunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2008   #2

Indian Hills, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slunk View Post
So has anyone actually used the NRS Kayak Sherpa?

or similar type rig? Those plastic buckles don't look very strong or durable....

I live just about a mile from my local float and I don't like driving to and from a place that I can see in my front yard.

i had one! the angry indian borrowed it while in BC, it didnt last the first hike. you are right the plastic buckles broke along with a piece of webbing. i am sure there are better brands out there.
Old 09-09-2008   #3

your mother's house, hell
When will you people learn? NRS is the WALMART of paddlesports!
waterbuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2008   #4

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Salamander

Go for the Salamander. Been using one for a few years now and it is way better that the NRS in my opinion. Carry spare buckles and a cam strap on long hikes though.
Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008   #5

I've got one. Only used it once. Went on a 10 mile hike and it worked well. The buckles are flimsy and I wouldn't be surprised to see them break quickly but I've met guys who really liked the pack setup once they just replaced the buckles with their own stouter versions. It's a bit of a pain to get on and balanced correctly so it's extremely helpful to have a buddy to help get it on and then pull the right straps to make it even. Cam strap around the nose to hang onto to reduce swaying is a must. It took me a little experimenting to figure out how to get it to strap to the boat best. Given the hassle of getting everything to fit and balance correctly, I think it's only worth it for hikes over 2 miles. Otherwise just shoulder it.

COUNT
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008   #6

Boulder, Colorado
It is a good design but I think when you are hiking in on an overnighter it is just too much stress on the buckles/stitching (both parts broke on christian). I've seen people use them with nothing in the boat and they worked fine but kilyk's salamander did well. You can also just rig your own outta backpack straps ect. thats what I did and it has worked great. take into account what boat you will be carrying if you design your own.
-Tom
tj@cu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008   #7

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Its my savior for climbing out of boxelder and i give it two thumbs up. itll will swish around a little bit if its not rigged correctly but fix it and you will fly.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008   #8

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I didn't really mess around with mine as much as I should, but my first impression was that it wasn't that great. It the straps are too loose it wiggles a lot and its harder to walk then simply shouldering the boat. If you cinch the straps up tight, you break the cheap / weak plastic snap deals. If you have to hike under tree branches, another pain in the ass. If you have to take it off and put it back on to get your boat around obstacles, yet another pain in the ass.

All in all, I think its a good idea, but it has enough problems that I would not recommend buying one.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008   #9

NRS Sherpa

I bought one and its a pos, it broke one the third or forth use. That being said I could still rig it to work. As a concept i think its great. We hiked into probably 6 runs in Cali, and I had a much easier time than the people who were shouldering their boats. It is probably not worth it for a mile, but around mile two it makes a huge difference.
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008   #10

Student
Send a message via AIM to xkayaker13
NRS is the walmart of kayaking. This product is cheaply made, and not very durable at all. I would not recommend one to anyone.