Portable Power Station - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-30-2012   #1

Portable Power Station

First off these units are NOT currently for sale. My intention is to see if there is any interest. I work for a small company that uses everything in these boxes but for a very different application. I built this one for my self and I've gotten a ton of interest in it while on the river.

The box is a high performance resin case, it contains a sealed 12V lead-acid battery. The solar panel is a 15watt high efficiency, mono-crystalline. It is made of tempered glass covered in plastic. I have broken one and all it did was spider. The edges are padded and yes it is still waterproof!

It will charge any electronics using a power converter (110 plug, USB and a cigarette lighter. It safely houses them while charging them. The overflow of power goes to the battery.

I've found similar units costing $1,200.00 I'd be looking at about half of that. I'm also developing a smaller unit for around $300

So any feedback thoughts would be greatly appreciated
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0727.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	4749   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0779.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	1.62 MB
ID:	4750  

D-Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2012   #2

Palisade, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
Nice setup.....how big (watts) is the 12v dc to 120v ac inverter?....make/model of the solar charge controller? I'm guessing 12v dc 5 amp. Have you noticed the inverter, if left connected to the dc input, will draw the battery down? The on/off switch is on the ac output side, not the input....so I always add a toggle switch to disconnect the inverter when not in use. I use gel cell batteries.

I have made several similar setups for my snowcat, raft, brothers yurt etc. On my 16' AIRE I have (2) 20 watt panels, (1) 12v battery, ProStar charge controller, and a 300watt inverter. Big aligator clips to connect CD player or inverter. CD player is old school auto player w/ waterproof speakers. I store it all in an old cooler while on the river, leaving only the panels out of the cooler. Just duct tape the cooler shut when in any heavy water.
F.A.A.C. Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012   #3

The inverter is just a store bought that goes into the female end of a cigarette lighter so I simply unplug it and there is no drain on the battery. My next step on this unit is to mount 2 marine speakers on the side of the box. This way no matter the water you can be listening to your favorite tunes....in my crew we have a theory that you can make it through any rapid with AC/DC! Just nervous about drilling out holes that large and the case still being waterproof
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2012   #4

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
I'd like to add a bigger battery and a solar panel/charge controller to my Tailgater. A waterproof version would be cool, but I can do without tunes on the river--I just love them in camp.

I wouldn't mind an external USB port or 12V cig lighter plug so I could charge a GoPro off the Tailgater.

Need tunes, need to charge cameras; I don't need to power a microwave oven.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012   #5

This thing will run the Tailgater, it has a USB for the GoPro and I now bring a full speaker ipod docking station for at night.....the question is what would you be willing to pay for all of that?
Old 05-30-2012   #6

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
I would skip the inverter and just add a good quality 12v to 5V for usb power. You can find some good quality 12v or 5v powered speakers and most of the lower powered electronics run off of 5v

Does the panel fit in the pelican case for transport?
Old 05-30-2012   #7

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Money View Post
This thing will run the Tailgater, it has a USB for the GoPro and I now bring a full speaker ipod docking station for at night.....the question is what would you be willing to pay for all of that?
I love the Tailgater--it just needs solar and USB.

Could you do this unit,
waterproof when charging,
waterproof when playing tunes optional
USB for charging GoPro
Docking station and speakers
for $250?

To me, the tailgater is $100.
Added solar (low wattage) is $40
USB is $10
Waterproof/Pelican case is $100

Pipe dream?
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012   #8
fun hog

D-go go, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
nice set up D$.

I used to rock a stock invertor/power station charged by a pv panel and would lug the whole set up around in an action packer closed with cam straps. Definitely wasn't waterproof, it was only safe to charge on the flattest of flat water and after awhile the weather, transport abuse and desert sands from cumulative floats wore down the power station. I had used the panel and power to play a satellite radio via a boom box and charge camera and headlamp batteries. It was rad in camp and I could listen to everything from baseball to reggae live via sat. deep in the canyons and out in the woods.

You definitely have trimmed down your set-up and incorporating the system into the case is tight. Speakers, USB, all sound good. I paid less than 300 off the interweb procuring my amateur set-up. For less bulk, waterproof capabilities and speakers, I'd price your rig to sell MSRP 435.00 and push them out to shops for 375 a rig. If you stay a heady little custom outfit then you should build them at cost plus ? percent. You got a patent on this outfit partner? Be careful out there-I bet someone has already pulled this thread off the buzz and is building these right now in China.
mountainjah is offline   Reply With Quote