Please help with used boat purchase for a noob. - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-21-2011   #1

Gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: noob
Please help with used boat purchase for a noob.

Hi,

I currently have a Wavesport Frankenstein and will be selling it to help get another used boat.

Looking for a river runner I can mess around in. I would like to progress to creeks someday if I stay with the sport and enjoy it.

I'm 5'7", 145ish lbs. I have access to a Prijon Rockit for $100 but am leaning towards not starting out with a displacement hull. My local selection is pretty limited. I also have access to a Wavesport Ace, L.L. CR250, and Pyrana I3 in my price range.

The Frankenstein feels extremely tippy to me in rapids and I've only whitewatered kayaked once so far in it. I swam. A lot. Need to practice my rolls a bit more too. Will be going to a pool tonight.

I've been camping at Oh Be Joyful this summer and people have so far recommended L.L. Remix, Wavesport Nomad and Riot Magnum. Thing is I only want to spend $1-200 max on a used boat depending on how much my W.F. sells for. If I had the money I might consider something like a Prijon Pure but I don't and I'm a complete beginner too.

I'm willing to travel in the Colorado area to pick up a boat!

What do you guys/girls recommend for this noob?

I just missed out on a $75 Embudo too! Figure at that price I can get a boat or two and try em' out.

Oh Be Joyful! is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2011   #2

Gunnison, Colorado
Ok, small update. I'm willing to shell out a little dough but am on a tight budget.

I plan on mostly doing river running and seeing how things work out. 5'7", 145lbs.

Boats considering: (used and somewhat close to me)

Prijon Emudo good price including gear
L.L. Lil' Joe
Ace 4.7
Jackson Punk Rocker $350 07/08ish in good condition (too small/low volume?)
Jefe
CR250
Pyranha I3

Considering just in general:

The hero sounds like a good fun intro boat. Burn S/M?, Ammo, any other recommendations? I plan on doing things in and surrounding the Gunnison area.

Basically looking for something I can learn on, grow into, etc. If I keep going I can always get a designated creeker/playboat later on.

Thanks

Can't wait to get on the river with something other than the Frankenstein!
Old 06-22-2011   #3
gh

pnw, Colorado
Can you get somewhere to demo these boats?
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2011   #4

Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 82
Yo OB, I live in CB and have a jackson 2fun you can try out. Give me call at 275-5684 if you want to go do the lower taylor or something (after work sesh). I'm a little bigger then you and paddle a Fun. It's been real user friendly to me as I get back into the sport. I can tell already I'm gonna need a second boat for learning some creek skills though. My Fun isn't for sale, but you can still check it out on the river though.
Rob
CB Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011   #5

hutchinson, Kansas
Paddling Since: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Be Joyful!
Ok, small update. I'm willing to shell out a little dough but am on a tight budget.

I plan on mostly doing river running and seeing how things work out. 5'7", 145lbs.

Boats considering: (used and somewhat close to me)

L.L. Lil' Joe
Ace 4.7
Jefe
CR250
Pyranha I3

Considering just in general:

The hero sounds like a good fun intro boat. Burn S/M?, Ammo, any other recommendations? I plan on doing things in and surrounding the Gunnison area.

Basically looking for something I can learn on, grow into, etc. If I keep going I can always get a designated creeker/playboat later on.

Thanks

Can't wait to get on the river with something other than the Frankenstein!
Cr 250 is too big for your size I have a cr80 im same size as you the 250 is a tank by comparison
shonuffkayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011   #6

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Look for a used Pyranha Ammo or Burn, size medium. There are several Burns on the "Swap" right now...
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011   #7

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
check this too. we are only an hour or so away...
CKS| Used Kayak Sale
Good excuse to come over and paddle the Ark.
Old 06-22-2011   #8

Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 82
Keep in mind that your local rivers for a newbie are the gunni and the taylor, with road trips to the ark and the crystal. A river runner/ playboat could serve you well while you learn. I'll boat some easy stuff w/ you. I'm looking for someone to boat with.... Hitching the shuttle has been a bitch lately. What did you float that had you swimming alot?
CB Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011   #9

Gunnison, Colorado
Hey,

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Thought the CR250 was too big just thought I'd mention it. It's only a hundo at Allsports Replay if anyone is interested.

CB Rob, I would totally do an afterwork sesh. I just need to go to the lake first and practice rolling a bit more. It would be fun to paddle around long lake too if I could for a bit of practice.

I put in near Garlic Mike's and got out before the whitewater park. I only swam like 3 maybe 4 times but it felt like a lot b/c it's so much effort swimming. I went with Scott who works or used to work at the Tshirt Shop and doing windows. Super nice guy. It was my first time ww kayaking and it just felt tippy. I used to own a Necky Looksha IV but am trying to crossover.

I would definately be down to go after I hit up the lake and/or the pool again. I'd be down for rafting with anyone as well but am definately more stoked for kayaking.

Only other kayaks I can demo other than the 2Fun are the I3 223 (also probably a tank) and maybe my friends Eskimo Nano but not sure on that.

I doubt anything at Allsports is demo-able.

Although out of my price range I'm also interested in a Remix 59. Might be tough to get that in the upper $400 range which would make me eat rice and beans this month. I'll have to check out the burns too. I've seend some guy use it at OBJ which is pretty sweet too.

Thanks again for the replies!

I will demo what I can asap but what do you guys think about the embudo on the cheap? Displacement hull will make it a difficult boat to start out with?

As much as I can admire the old school lines of the Frankenstein, it doesn't inspire confidence for a first time paddler. Maybe I just need to get that out more too...stability (2nd or prim was not working for me in the rapids) I was pretty spent the last time I paddled it.
Old 06-25-2011   #10

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
L.L. Lil' Joe
Ace 4.7
Jefe
CR250
Pyranha I3

You have a lot of different types of boats listed here. Since you mention that you will mainly be a river runner then I wouldn't recommend the Ace at it is more of a sharp lined play boat. The CR 250 is definitely way too big. Even when not upside down you'd be swimming in it. The Embudo is an interesting choice because it is made of very good plastic which means even older boats can (should?) last a long time. Of course this varies, even the best plastic thins and breaks if taken down the mankiest of CB creeks. The I3 and Li'l Joe are similar boats in that they are playful river runners with planing hulls so you'd be able to surf well in them. The Jefe, Punk Rocker and Embudo have more round hulls and are made for creeking. They will allow you to progress in your river running into steeper creeking but you won't be able to surf or play as well in them.

My suggestion would be to check out the Li'l Joe, I3 and 2Fun based on the list you provided. You're right to get something more contemporary than the Franky. Good luck and be safe.

Mark
ibyakn is offline   Reply With Quote