please help identify this - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-21-2009   #1

San Antonio, Texas
Paddling Since: 2003
please help identify this

I'd like to get a spray skirt for it, and was also wondering maybe when and where it might have been made.
Thanks in advance guys.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	old kayak.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	727.3 KB
ID:	2106  

rusty_apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2009   #2

I wouldnt be surprised if a skirt for a slalom boat would work.
overlyworked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009   #3

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
To me it looks like the old fiber-glass Hydra's that came in two halves and a fiber-glass kit to assemble the two halves together. It came with a very thin latex skirt.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2009   #4

4CRS, Durango, Colorado
Snapdragon

Not sure what ya got there but Snap Dragon Designs will make you a skirt for it. They just need a cardboard cut out of the cockpit shape. Cost is around $100. Gotta love custom shit made in the USA.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009   #5

Lakewood, Colorado
Were all cockpits the same size before plastic boats were invented? I had never heard of different sized spray skirts until plastic boats came out.
lemsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009   #6

Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
That boat almost makes me nostalgic for my old Hydra. There is something about the old sleek boats that makes me appreciate the origins of the kayak as a mode of transport.
ZGjethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009   #7

Lexington, Kentucky
Paddling Since: 1968
Looks a bit like a Prijion 420 or Special Slalom popular in the 70's, early 80's. There was a commercial builder (Hyperform) licensed to build the German designs here in the states in fiberglass. If the boat is length is over 13'6" it might be a 420, if it's 13'2" it might be a Special Slalom. Look for a serial number etched near the stern. If it's HPP or HIP it might be one of their boats. Any spray skirt for a standard sized cockpit should fit. Good luck.
tubbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009   #8

San Antonio, Texas
Paddling Since: 2003
You guys are tops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubbo View Post
Looks a bit like a Prijion 420 or Special Slalom popular in the 70's, early 80's. There was a commercial builder (Hyperform) licensed to build the German designs here in the states in fiberglass. If the boat is length is over 13'6" it might be a 420, if it's 13'2" it might be a Special Slalom. Look for a serial number etched near the stern. If it's HPP or HIP it might be one of their boats. Any spray skirt for a standard sized cockpit should fit. Good luck.
Thanks for all the info.

A good friend gave it to me because it was like being wedged into a kazoo, and I have a 28" waist. It had been stored on top of a beetle throughout several hot summers, and had slightly collapsed. With a heat gun and some egyptian technology I managed to straighten it all out except one tiny dent and it's comfortable now.

It's probably about right for what I need even without a spray skirt. It's going to take me about about 4 miles across lake Buchanan from a public boat ramp, to the land I inherited from my grandparents. They bought it in '34, and the easement was flooded by the lake in '35. Noone has ever been able to negotiate an easement to the subdivision, so no development has really happened there. I kind of like that about it, and even prefer it that way. Definitely a place to go camping and really get away from civlization.

Okay now, where's that tape measure?
rusty_apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009   #9
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
That boat would endo you up in the air like pogo stick... looks like it's seaworthy too
Old 11-23-2009   #10

Prob a skirt off an old town would work or make one.
Palo Duro is offline   Reply With Quote