Playboats - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-23-2015   #1

Steamboat, Colorado
Playboats

Just wondering what everyone's stance on the most comfy outfitting in a playboat is these days?
Now, before everyone starts telling me to get a Jackson, I know, my boyfriend has a brand new Fun and it's certainly lives up to it's name, and it is oh-so-comfortable, but I'm not really looking to spend +$1,000.
Thinking more in the -$400 range. I'm not opposed to older boats, I learned how to paddle in my G-force, but I've definitely outgrown it. Tried paddling the old S6x, I like the rocker on it and it's a fun boat, but the outfitting was super uncomfortable, I think mostly due to the thigh hooks.
In a nutshell, I'm looking for a boat that's super duper comfortable, has a lot of rocker, and is a decent price. Go!

Advertisement

Old 07-23-2015   #2

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2011
My suggestion is find the boat you want used:
www.searchtempest.com
Play Boats - Mountain Buzz Gear Swap (brand new fun for sale in Denver)
desertSherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015   #3

Sacramento, California
Paddling Since: 2012
I've been in a few recent boats and as far as comfort goes:
- Jackson Rockstar and Allstar's have very comfy seats. The sweat cheeks are designed to hug your personal butt shape. I can sit in these a long time and stay comfortable.
- Wave Sport Mobius and Project X's (not sure on older boats) have very comfortable thigh hooks. The position they put my thighs in is better than any other playboat I've been in, as far as long term comfort.
- The Dagger Jitsu wasn't bad, but didn't stand out in comfort.
- I never tried the Jed, but I've been in the Burn, which as the same outfitting as far as I can tell. The seat is the least comfortable, though the most rugged. They have the typical thigh brace setup where your knees are up against the hull (not nearly as comfortable as the Wave Sport boats for me at least).

The price range you are looking at means you want older, used boat.
bystander is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2015   #4
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Might try the Jackson Star series. They're good boats but people want the new Rockstar hotness now. I'm not a Jackson sycophant nor a big fan of their outfitting in general, but they seem to make the best and most comfortable playboats in my experience.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015   #5

Steamboat, Colorado
Thanks guys.
I have been trying really hard to stay out of Jacksons... for silly reasons. They're great boats, and after paddling my boyfriend's last night I know how comfy they are... but everyone and their brother's best friend's cousin's sister's friend paddles a Jackson. Plus there's no drain plug, and I'm a sissy girl, so dumping water out through the cockpit is no fun. I even have a hard time dumping the Fun 1 when the kiddos overfill it.
I understand I'm looking for "cheap," and like I said I don't mind used. I was just looking for some advice on what the most comfortable playboat would be other than Jackson.
If I'm honest, I'll say I'm not even sure I really like playboating, I just feel kinda guilty taking my Burn down the Steamboat run at these flows...
Old 07-23-2015   #6

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2011
I own a jackson playboat, sold a wavesport playboat, and I sat in the new Dagger playboat when shopping. I really liked the confluence/dagger/wavesport outfitting more.

My decision for the jackson was it was the smallest boat I could fit into, and find used at a good price.
Wavesport is leaving the US. A small mobius may get cheap.
desertSherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015   #7

Sacramento, California
Paddling Since: 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by soggy_tortillas View Post
Thanks guys.
I have been trying really hard to stay out of Jacksons... for silly reasons. They're great boats, and after paddling my boyfriend's last night I know how comfy they are... but everyone and their brother's best friend's cousin's sister's friend paddles a Jackson. Plus there's no drain plug, and I'm a sissy girl, so dumping water out through the cockpit is no fun. I even have a hard time dumping the Fun 1 when the kiddos overfill it.
I understand I'm looking for "cheap," and like I said I don't mind used. I was just looking for some advice on what the most comfortable playboat would be other than Jackson.
If I'm honest, I'll say I'm not even sure I really like playboating, I just feel kinda guilty taking my Burn down the Steamboat run at these flows...
All full on playboats do not have a drain plug. Only the crossover play/river runner boats and larger do. If you want a full playboat, you'll have to live without a drain plug. Just spin the boat over to dump most the water, then lift it up to get the rest.

As far as comfort goes, I found the Jackson and Wave Sport to be the most comfortable to me. The Jackson has the more comfy seat, the Wave sport has the better leg position for me. Your mileage may vary.

That should hold true for any of those brands for the past 4-5 years, regardless of whether you got a cross-breed or not.
bystander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015   #8

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I assume you like your Burn and find the outfitting to be comfortable? If yes, get a Jed. It's a great boat and has been out long enough to find a used one. I learned to play boat in an S6 and they certainly aren't the most comfortable but pyranha's outfitting has gotten a little better since then. If you need to go older than a Jed, for cost, just stay away from the Rev, they sucked real bad.
Old 07-23-2015   #9

Teacher
Since liquid logic refuses to make a play boat I have been on the market. I have paddled all the medium Rockstars 2012, 2014, 2016, the Allstar, the Jitsu 5.9 , Project X , Mobius, Jed medium, and Large and for me the Jed Large was the best. Plenty of air yet still able to flatwater. Next was the 2016 rockstar, then Jitsu, then everything else. None of them have outfitting as good as the Badass outfitting
Old 07-27-2015   #10

Boise, Idaho
I think you need to get over the irrational Jackson hate - simply put, they have the best playboats on the market and have for a long time. While there are other boats that perform very well - the Mobius, the Project X, the Jed, the Jitsu - nothing comes better in one package than the Jackson. Most boaters I know who tried to steer clear of Jackson playboats end up in one sooner or later.

I'd look for the Star series. The Rockstars will be more expensive and a bit more high performance (and so, a bit steeper learning curve).

Note: none of what I said applies if you're looking for more of a hybrid playboat / river runner, like the Fun series. There are a lot of great other options in that type of boat, including a lot of fun older boats.
Anchorless is offline   Reply With Quote