Playboat or River Playboat - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-11-2016   #1

littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
Playboat or River Playboat

Are there any larger boaters that have found a play boat or crossover that works for them?
I am 6'3" 215 and find in the boats I have tried after I get through the rapids and I am in swirling water before I can react I am flipped over. I have tried a Monstar (felt like a station wagon) a 4Fun and a Varun both seemed to have the same auto eject characteristics.
I am new at playing but I need to find something so I can take the next steps.

THOUGHTS

bg

colo4o is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2016   #2

Indian Hills, Colorado
If you'll be spending more time running rivers than in the play park, a "river running play boat" would be a good fit, such as the aforementioned 4Fun. I'm personally a huge fan of the M/L Pyrhana 420 as a river runner, but am a bit smaller than you...30" inseam, 190#. In any case, don't discount old-technology play boats for river-play.

To your question about getting bitch-slapped in the swirlies...I think you're not keeping an aggressive forward position and catching a stern edge. Focus on technique.

Regarding a "good boat for next steps," you probably ought to add a pure river-runner to your quiver. Think Super Hero, Mamba, Diesel, Burn or something in that range. A bigger volume boat will leave you much more comfortable pushing your limits, whether that's a first run on Black Rock, medium flow Numbers or high water Browns.

Cheers
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016   #3

littleton, Colorado
I run a Villain and a Shiva so I am covered on the river but I am wanting to play more. I will work on staying forward more but my face is getting red from the bitch slaps...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2016   #4

Bazzaro, Free
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanOrion View Post

To your question about getting bitch-slapped in the swirlies...I think you're not keeping an aggressive forward position and catching a stern edge. Focus on technique.
That! Dan kinda said it how it is.. Being in the backseat of a playboat is not a good place to be. If you like to breathe.
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016   #5

Bisters, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2002
+1 on the aggressive forward body position. I'm 6'4" 205 and paddle the 4Fun. When I get a little lazy and sit up straight the first heavy wave to the chest puts me in the backseat and all stability is lost. Get that paddle blade in the water all the way forward at your feet. Again, when I get lazy and initiate a forward stroke at the shin I have less control and power. As a tall guy staying flexible enough to execute good technique and be tough, let alone cramming into a playboat. I really like the 4Fun and even do some easy creeking with it. Big boofs are sweet but you better land with your body forward!
jmacn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016   #6

Sacramento, California
Paddling Since: 2012
If you desire to be in a standard large playboat, you certainly can do it. As others have mentioned, good posture and paddling will keep you up right. The problem is likely your posture, or not keeping your paddle in the water.

But if you want an easier time, a larger boat would certainly do that. Your size and weight is perfectly good for a typical large playboat. The monstar is likely too big for you. Either a large Rockstar or Superstar is the way to go with Jackson.
bystander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016   #7

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Another thing that helps with stability is going to sound a little odd, but spinning and squirting can help. When you get pushed off balance, rather than fight the current that has you in its grip, start moving in a spin on the current. That will pop the gripped boat out, and get you back to floating. It also looks better than a faceplant. Of course, practice helps.
FallingH20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016   #8

littleton, Colorado
Thanks for all of the input....for my temperament it is hard to stay calm but something I want to do. I do notice more control when I am forward but also watching others their body position not as forward as I need to be.
Ok more practice looking at the river bottom........
Old 04-12-2016   #9

Boise, Idaho
I'm about your size and I like my Superstar for running most rivers, but not my Rockstar.

Also some of the old Pyranha playboats, the Big EZ, etc., are actually pretty fun.
Anchorless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016   #10

Indian Hills, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallingH20 View Post
Another thing that helps with stability is going to sound a little odd, but spinning and squirting can help. When you get pushed off balance, rather than fight the current that has you in its grip, start moving in a spin on the current. That will pop the gripped boat out, and get you back to floating. It also looks better than a faceplant. Of course, practice helps.
This is really excellent advice. When you start seeing more sky that water...go with it!
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote