Playboat for Big Guy - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-10-2015   #1

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Playboat for Big Guy

Hey Everyone,

I'm about 6'4", 250lbs, and have a size 15 foot. I started kayaking in a Wavesport Super EZ in 2006. A few days ago, I tried going out for the first time in several years and my Super EZ is a bit of a squeeze for me. I'd like to get back into kayaking with a new boat focused more on playboating. I've considered these boats, but haven't found anywhere I can even sit in one:

Jackson Monstar (Now discontinued?)
Jackson Superstar
Wavesport Project X 64
Wavesport Mobius 65

Does anyone have any experience with these or other boats they'd recommend looking at?

Thanks!

saxman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2015   #2

crow, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2002
i'm 6-3, 220 lbs, love my superstar. still comfortable with seat in middle position. Never paddled the monstar, and think you are right and is no longer made. Had project x 64 and didn't work for me at all, seat was great but that was it killed my feet and just didn't like how it paddled either on a wave or downriver.
jdebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015   #3

Boulder, Colorado
Do you have lots of room to spare in the Superstar, or do you think someone my size would be better off with the Monstar? I see great deals on used Superstars all the time, but have a hard time finding a Monstar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2015   #4

First off I'm a terrible play boater. I am 6'8" about 240 lbs and size 15 shoe. I fit in the Monstar fine. I bought mine used a couple years back and mess around with it from time to time. I can say its still on their web site which leads me to believe it is probably still available to a certain degree, Have you checked with Jackson directly on this or in a local shop. It will be a tough boat to find as a demo. Also with size 15 feet, the monstar will truly be about your only option for a true playboat. At least I'v never been able to get in another one.
brokenpaddlejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015   #5

Sacramento, California
Paddling Since: 2012
From my understanding, the Star series alternates years when different models are available. If Monstars are not available now, they will be in again, probably in a couple years, so just keep that in mind for that time. For now, you may need to look at used Monstars.
bystander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015   #6

Boulder, Colorado
I have no problem buying used; especially considering how fast kayaks depreciate. I'm all for buying a two year used $1,200 kayak for $300-400. Maybe I'll just keep an eye out for a used Monstar. It sounds like the whole point of that boat is being a good playboat for guys my size. So is that pretty much my only really comfortable option?
Old 08-11-2015   #7

crow, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2002
Ya I have quite a bit of room. No front outfitting gets my weight forward in boat. Seat still has couple inches travel to the rear. Hopefuly you can try or at least sit in boat first though.
jdebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015   #8

SLC, Utarr
Paddling Since: 08
Fear not o ye of gargantuan shoe. (Weared you rent those flippers?) Try out that Mobius. WS is goin' under so act fast. It is a huge boat and the I found my back position was so much healthier/ergonimically true in that rig. I also was able to playboat in my hiking boots. Why? B/c I could. Hilariously fun, I was looping on eddylines. Wait, more like head splatting. But, I'd never been able to do that in any Jackson. Have the Superstar. It's roomy but the outfitting is crap in Jackson's IMHO. Everytime I get forward for a boof or aggressive must make ferry, that backband slips down, even when I cinch it down while leaning aggressively leaned hard forward.

Hell of a boat that Mobius. Spins to win and loops like mad. Jackson Hole's Rendezvous River Sports had one in stock in our size a month ago. Spankin' new and only $700, I'd bet they'd bite at $600. Enjoy!
themechanicnotthetool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015   #9

Boulder, Colorado
Thanks a lot for the suggestions. I think a shop in denver stocks the Mobius. I might try to go sit in one this weekend. Does anyone have any experience with Fluid kayaks? I hear the large ones tend to be a bit bigger than other large kayaks.
Old 08-14-2015   #10

Boulder, Colorado
I know the weight ranges advertised my manufacturers shouldn't be taken too seriously, but would I be crazy to paddle a Mobius 65 at 250 lbs (more with gear)?