play boat and gear advice - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-02-2011   #1

spokane, Washington
Paddling Since: 09
play boat and gear advice

I want to get a playboat not sure what to get as far as brand size paddle skirt and all that. I'm 6'4 so I assume I need a big boat. I sat in a wavesport fuse 64 felt kinda comfy. But would love some info on other boats. Thanks

WildYetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2011   #2

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Jackson makes the best playboats in my opinion
Mmcquillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011   #3

Provo, Utah
The Jackson Fun series is super comfy and stable with plenty of room to play down the river. It is similar to the Fuse in that it is a river/play hybrid. I personally liked the outfitting comfort of the Jackson's over the outfitting of the Fuse right out of the box (err, bag).

If you want a true playboat instead of a hybrid, look at the Star Series. Same awesome outfitting, but much more playful.

You would likely fit well in a superstar or super fun. Depends on weight, but it is very unlikely your feet and inseam will fit in a smaller boat.
Choose your skirt after you choose your boat. Both IR and Snapdragon make good skirts.

Werner and AT both make great paddles. Pick them both up and see which bent shaft feels the most comfortable for you. That is assuming you want the bent shaft paddle...

Finally, you really need to decide if you want a full on playboat or a hybrid. What are your paddling plans? hybrids are generally mediocre for two different types of paddling where as a true playboat or a true river runner will be the best for only one area.
afaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2011   #4

spokane, Washington
Right on thanks! I really want to get into both creeking and wave riding. We don't have too many drops on the spokane to justify just having a creek boat. All though a creek boat would make this river easy for someone learning We got some nice waves and up to class 4-5 section. do hybrid boats like the fuse and the Jackson surf waves well? They run big water too? I run a lot of whitewater on pontoon's and raft. I really just want a good work out and some fun.
Old 01-03-2011   #5

Provo, Utah
They surf great. As far as big water goes the definition varies a lot. True big water the Fun will have you getting thrown all over. Take a look at what kind of boats the locals are paddling on the runs you want to get on and go from there. If you see a lot of playboats and hybrids then you are probably good to go.
afaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011   #6

spokane, Washington
Thanks this has been very helpful. Gonna do some checking around can't wait to get out and learn to kayak
Old 01-04-2011   #7
gh

pnw, Colorado
Check out the Jackson outfitting before buying, some love it, some hate it. Choose for yourself.
Old 01-04-2011   #8

., Washington, D.C.
Paddling Since: 95
Don't just go out and buy a Super Star. You may not fit in it. I'm 6'1 and fit in the Super Star just fine but at 180lbs it is a lot of volume in that boat for me. At 6'4 you may need the MonStar in which case you need to be a heavy person to move that boat around.
I have written Jackson off of my list as they do not design playboats for tall skinny people. I'm holding off until I can demo the Molan and Project X.
Pickle-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011   #9

spokane, Washington
Right on yea I weight 225ish. Might look into the Monstar. I should have listed that. I always thought too much weight would be the issue instead of not enough.