PFD'S - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-16-2011   #1

reno, California
PFD'S

What PFD'S are highly recommended? Seeking high floatation for a GC trip. Thanks in advance.
RR

roro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2011   #2

Moab, Utah
Paddling Since: 2006
Hi,
Are you kayaking? Rowing? Riding along? Would you pay more for a bit of comfort?

Astral makes excellent pfds, and their Greenjacket is, in my opinion, best on the market as far as bells, whistles, comfort, and safety (in no order). But you'll hear a lot of different opinions.

I assume you're on a private trip - talk to your TL or tripmates. They'll better know you and your needs.

For more recommendations, check out this thread. Enjoy your trip!
Old 02-16-2011   #3

Jenks, Oklahoma
extrasport hi float, google em
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2011   #4

Idaho, Wyoming
pfd

Quote:
Originally Posted by roro View Post
What PFD'S are highly recommended? Seeking high floatation for a GC trip. Thanks in advance.
RR

NRS big water guide pfd has been working well as a rafting jacket for me. 22# floatation, comfortable, lots of adjustabilty and great pockets. i'll probably buy another one this year for passengers. when not rowing, the handwarmer pockets are a great addition.
billfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011   #5

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
The Extrasport UT5 is a moderately priced, but fine PFD, with 25 lbs of flotation. It is popular with the big water river-guiding business because clients tend to survive big swims in Crystal, Lava, etc.

I once swam Granite Rapid in an Extrasport Hi-Float (22 lbs) and was able to breathe often enough to live through it. Those little kayaker vests are very comfy for sittin on the boat, but high-flotation vests are the way to go if you have to swim something huge.
Domar Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011   #6
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
I've used MTI Big Buoy (26 lbs of flotation) for the last two years. It's been great, lots of pocket room, fits very snug and doesn't get in a way. It's the highest flotation jacket I've found. Amazon.com: Big Buoy by MTI: Sports & Outdoors

I switched from hi float, I just never liked how HiFloat rides on your face when you are in water. Big Buoy doesn't do that at all. Also, HiFloat has a lot of wasted (out of water) flotation over your shoulders which do nothing to buoyancy.
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011   #7

vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
Not too happy with my extrasport. Pockets ripped out in first year and after two the fabric is starting to give out. For $100 I would have expected more
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011   #8

DURANGO, 81301
Paddling Since: 2005
How is the Green Jacket a type V with a flotation of only 16.75lbs? I thought I wanted one but I only wanted it if it would keep my head a little higher in the big water swims.
Gumbydamnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011   #9

dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Patagonia rio grande 18 lbs but not a rescue vest or the Astral. Type V are rescue vests not high float vests.
chepora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011   #10

Idaho, Wyoming
type v pfd

Quote:
Originally Posted by chepora View Post
Patagonia rio grande 18 lbs but not a rescue vest or the Astral. Type V are rescue vests not high float vests.

i believe most rescue vests are type lll. type v is for commercial use with a collar designed to keep an unconsious person face up in the water. there are probably others who can clarify this better.
billfish is offline   Reply With Quote