Personalizing cam straps - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-14-2012   #1

Grangeville, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
Personalizing cam straps

I just bought a bunch of new NRS cam straps for my rig and want to put my "mark" on them since I have had bad luck in the past keeping track of mine. I have tried the permanent marker on the tag (which ends up getting torn off), tried spray painting the buckles (which over time chip off and gunk up the buckle) and tried just writing my name on the fabric (which fades out). So...does anyone have any tips on customizing cam straps where it doesn't alter the strength or doesn't require "re-labeling" the straps every year.

My idea was to dye the last 1-2'' of the strap. Maybe with bleach? Not sure if that will compromise the strength (although I doubt I'll have the last few inches in the buckle)...any ideas of what dye to use where it'll be obvious to my fellow boaters that the straps are mine?

Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2012   #2

overcrowdedskitown, Colorado
get an electric engraver, very inexpensive through harborfrieght.com, I'm sure home depot or your local hardware type store would have them also, and put your mark on the buckle. Its not fool proof but it wont come off, or decrease the strength.
Iraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012   #3

The Big Smoke, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraft View Post
get an electric engraver, very inexpensive through harborfrieght.com, I'm sure home depot or your local hardware type store would have them also, and put your mark on the buckle. Its not fool proof but it wont come off, or decrease the strength.

Hit em' with a can of your favourite rustoleum colour after, the paint will stay in the engraved area for quite some time.
constructeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2012   #4

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
The problem with personalizing your straps & not losing them it that it has to be something easily seen. The reason straps get lost is because in the hustle & bustle at the take-out, no one has the time to carefully examine whose straps they are hucking into the truck/trailer/box/or bag. In order to do any good, your personalization has to be bold & big enough to notice. I don't l know if engraving alone will be enough. Maybe the painted buckle, but with a sturdier paint, like maybe automotive paint in a bright color.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012   #5

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
My brother ordered his from Strapworks to match his new cat tubes, which are orange and grey, the strap buckles are orange and the webbing is grey. There is no mistaking that these are his straps, and they look killer.
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012   #6

Grangeville, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
I've seen the engraving and I agree with cataraftgirl, you need something that is clearly visible that you don't have to examine the strap to figure out who it belongs to. I've also tried other brands of straps and honestly they all suck except for NRS. The webbing is weak and the buckles don't seem as bomb proof as the NRS straps, just my opinion. I still think that a permanent dye at the tip would work I'm just not sure on what to use. Any ideas?
Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012   #7

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2005
Paint on the buckle works great for me and its easy. I paint all mine florescent orange. There is no mistaking them at the take out. It stays for five years or so and I have never had problems with anything getting gummed up (just don't go crazy painting them).

Bleach seems like a bad idea. I think it would weaken them significantly. If its just on the tag end then I suspect that end will fray quickly.
desertrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012   #8
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
I use electrical tape in a unique color right behind the buckle. mine happens to be orange. Then everything I see with orange is mine. I carry a small roll around and unmarked straps become mine too. Stop losing straps. Get the tape. Mark everything.

I am thinking of also making an address label ( like the yellow Nrs ) but instead of writing on it, it will be pre printed on orange back material. Then one pass through the sewing machine and it's good to go.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012   #9

Farmington, Utah
Paddling Since: 2009
Now everyone will paint them orange, and we will be in the same boat Order some custom ones from strap works.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012   #10

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying_Spaghetti_Monster View Post
Now everyone will paint them orange, and we will be in the same boat Order some custom ones from strap works.
Or pick your own damn color!
desertrat is offline   Reply With Quote