perception supersonic - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-04-2009   #1

Williamsville, New York
perception supersonic

Hey guys! im new to the forum and to the world of ww kayaking. i bought a flatwater/recreational kayak 2 years ago. my buddy and i take them to a local creek with small rapids but our boats aren't made for that even though they are very minor. plus, id like to do bigger stuff. there is no where in my area with big rapids so i will mostly be doing slow moving creeks with the occasional road trip. because of the lack of areas, very few come up for sale. i found a perception supersonic. its listed as 150lbs to 220lbs. i am 5'9, 140 lbs, size 9 shoe. will this be a good boat for a beginner/what i described. its listed for sale for $450, good price? looks to be in great shape. thanks!

Rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2009   #2

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
IMO I think that $450 is far too much for a 2002 boat design. I would think that you could find someone to sell you a newer model boat for a lot cheaper, and have them ship it via Forward Air for $75 to the Buffalo terminal. Keep an eye on Craigslist posts for D.C., Denver, Atlanta, Knoxville, etc; and ask the seller put it on a truck for you.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009   #3

Williamsville, New York
ok, thanks! yea, i just searched around for a while, saw a lotta cool boats for sale for decent prices. what boat would you recommend for me? i kinda feel like i really want an EZ cuz of the reviews but i dont think that will be the best choice considering i will be on some really slow moving water at times. Or are they ok on that water? i just need to be able to cruise around because i will still be kayaking with my buddy on flat water. thanks!
Rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2009   #4

hatfield, Pennsylvania
Paddling Since: 2006
simple solution to that, buy two boats. if you cant afford two boats I would suggest a creeker, something that has a displacement hull. it will help you track a little better when you are on flat water. i would recommend the liquid logic jefe, solo expedition, and boats like that, but you might be a little light for them.
dapper15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009   #5

Whitewater Boater, Boating Whitewater
Paddling Since: 2004
That is the boat I went from class II to III+ in. I loved that boat and regretted selling it. I bought mine new in 2005 or so for $650. Sold it in 2007 for ?$400-$450 or so. Great All around boat, forgiving, easy to roll, great for surfing, good transition from rec boating in my opinion.

Not the best outfitting, but that can be or might have been changed by the previous owner. Also sounds like it would be a bit large for you, but may work if you often travel with a bag or something. Pretty bombproof plastic. All of my experience with it was on small NE rivers and creeks.
yakrafter is offline   Reply With Quote