Perception Proline - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-26-2012   #1

Watertown, South Dakota
Paddling Since: 2000
Perception Proline

Has anyone paddled the old perception proline? I have what seems to be a good deal on it but have not paddled it and the reviews I found on line are from people who seem to not know what they are talking about, any comments would be appreciated, thanks.

rudy8655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2012   #2

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Perception Proline covers a range of boats from the dancer to the pirouette and so on. What kind of proline is this one? Dancer is a good downriver boat for sprint races and a nice day on the river. The pirouette was considered a play boat back in it's day and can turn much better than the dancer. What kind of water do you want to paddle?
Old 06-26-2012   #3

Watertown, South Dakota
From what I can tell in the pictures it is an Arc? (I am not real familiar with Perception boats), This is a boat for a beginner just getting into the sport and I am the middle man, I was just wondering how it paddles, and if there were any major issues with the boat? It will mostly be used to surf waves in the Gulf of Mexico and small rivers and creeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2012   #4

Lakewood, Colorado
The arc is an excellent beginner boat. It rolls well and has good stability. I've never tried to surf one so I can't attest to it's surfing ability but it looks like it'd surf like an rpm. If it's in good condition and the plastic isn't too worn off or hasn't had excessive UV exposure then it might be a good deal. If you're not paddling it the tough part is knowing if it fits whom ever you're buying it for. The fit is really the most important. My friend has one and he's 5'10/165 and fits nicely in it.
Old 06-27-2012   #5

Bazzaro, Free
Paddling Since: 2020
No way would I buy an ARC. unless it was 50 bones and in near new condition. I see threads all the time were someone asks about old school boats.. The ARC is closer to a displacement hull than a planning hull. Alot of ppl feel that displacement hulls are ok for begginers. I for one completely disagree. Planning hull boats are better in every area except mankey creeks that drop over boulder fields. Odds are if a begginer continues into kayaking they will want a TRUE planning hulled boat. Why teach someone to ski that really wants to learn to snowboard?? Why not go right to a modern planning hulled boat when thats where you'll really want to be?

IMHO, displacement hulls (like Remix, and old school boats) are for advanced boaters who drop the mank and can really enjoy the real reasons for owning a displacement hulled boat.
Old 06-27-2012   #6

Lakewood, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbagkayaker View Post
No way would I buy an ARC. unless it was 50 bones and in near new condition. I see threads all the time were someone asks about old school boats.. The ARC is closer to a displacement hull than a planning hull. Alot of ppl feel that displacement hulls are ok for begginers. I for one completely disagree. Planning hull boats are better in every area except mankey creeks that drop over boulder fields. Odds are if a begginer continues into kayaking they will want a TRUE planning hulled boat. Why teach someone to ski that really wants to learn to snowboard?? Why not go right to a modern planning hulled boat when thats where you'll really want to be?

IMHO, displacement hulls (like Remix, and old school boats) are for advanced boaters who drop the mank and can really enjoy the real reasons for owning a displacement hulled boat.

I partially agree only, given that he'll be in what appears to be flat water and the ocean, the planning hull buys you nothing save for surfing and the rpm surfs just fine for small ocean waves. In small flat water rivers, displacement paddles easier. I totally agree that you shouldn't pay more than $50 or even $75 if it's in really good condition.
Old 06-27-2012   #7

Farmington, Utah
Paddling Since: 2009
I just picked up a Prjion Tornado in almost new condition for $200 so stoked.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012   #8

Watertown, South Dakota
I think my question was answered. I do have a reply to the planning vs. displacement hull argument. I learned how to kayak in a Dagger Zydeco which for those of you who don't know is a big displacement hull and handles like a barge compared to any whitewater boat. What that did for me though was teach me how to really kayak, how to use the currents to your advantage, how to plan routes and execute without a mistake, cause if you make a mistake in the middle of a rapid in that boat you are screwed. I have since moved up but I still have a couple displacement hulls (and some planing hulls). What I really think the planning hull did was to take the basic skill set out of paddling. Anymore we don't have fast surfing boats that put you on the edge just grabbing a wave, anyone can hop on and look like they know what they are doing. Don't get me wrong I think there is a place for planning hull boats, but to knock so hard on displacement hull for whitewater shows ignorance and/or apathy (which is worse).
Old 06-27-2012   #9

Bazzaro, Free
Paddling Since: 2020
cool thumbs up!

surf off?? you pick your machine, you pick the wave? we could go for longest time on the wave or head to head (no brass-knuckles, no knifes). lol
Old 06-28-2012   #10

Glen Vegas, Florida
Paddling Since: 92
Nice score on the tornado S.Monster. I'm happy, I never sold you mine. It makes runs like Bailey and Gore a little more exciting.
Pizzle is offline   Reply With Quote