Patch Material - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-12-2012   #1

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Patch Material

I have an old Campways bucket boat that needs a bunch of patches and wear strips. I'm thinking it might be cheaper to find an old unusable boat and cannibalize it. Does anyone know where I might be able to find something like this? By the way, I'm in Boise, ID.

Larry-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2012   #2

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
sounds like you already have one! if you need that amount of repair material then it might just be time to take it out back and just shoot it.

i've come into possession of some "project boats" now and then and they are seldom worth the time and expense of doing the work. now getting the experience of working on rubber is valuable but if it's just to get on the river then i'd shoot it and save for something used with more life left in it. in the end, it will save you allot of headache and money.
upshitscreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012   #3

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
also, keep in mind repairing a boat with more old, degraded hypalon from another old degraded boat that was otherwise headed to the trash heap is probably only going to add to your troubles.
upshitscreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2012   #4

Boise, Idaho
OK, so maybe I should be a little more specific. There are two spots with a series of pinholes so I figured large patches that covered the entire area would make more sense. That and 12'-14' of material for the wear strips and I'm going to spend more than the boat is worth. Besides if I get a couple years out of the old boat and learn a little about patching in the process, I feel like I'm better off than where I started.
Old 05-13-2012   #5

Riverton, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
I bought an old Riken for just that purpose. I haven't canibalized anything off it yet, but that was my thinking. Then I went and bought a used Maravia and now I have 2 old Rikens.

I think your idea is solid, understanding of course the old boat isn't great rubber or whatever, but if for the cost of glue and your time and relative small investment in an old boat you can better your patching skills and such, seems like a decent idea.
DanCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012   #6

Boise, Idaho
Thanks for the input.