patch kit contents - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-01-2010   #1
Come and open the gate

denver, Colorado
patch kit contents

whats in yours?

the one that came with my boat has some material and a tube of glue.

i want to get a better patch kit, but don't necessarily want to spend $60 on one like this: AIRE Repair Kit

stribtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2010   #2

Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 2005
Minimal I would piece it together on your own with the items they have. See if it's actually cheaper that way. Have more patch material than they start you out with. plus some good old 90m/hr duck tape, it's an easy fix for the bladder if you can't get a patch on to it right away. I wouldn't trust a patch i put on in the middle of the river at night, more mess than helpful. Yes some will argue that...spend the time and get it right the first time but stuff happens for sure. Have some "Macgyverstuff" in your kit, you never know. Just don't forget anything. But raft with a buddy and hope they have what your forgot.
logan.madlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010   #3

Golden, Colorado
My kit is huge compared to that AIRE one.

I can't remember it all, but like the other response, a roll of duct tape is an important ingredient. I also increased the amount of patching material by including an extra big piece of rubber.

Off the top of my head: a good pair of scissors, a leatherman tool, a full sized pair of pliers, a real screwdriver, electrical tape, at least one spare valve assembly, a sharpie marker, spare parts for the frame (those pins and the thingies that keep them in), plenty of hose clamps that will fit on a frame tube, rubber gloves, a tool for rasping rubber, extra allen wrenches, a hack saw blade with small handle, patch kit for my thermarest sleeping pads, etc.

I even carry a tape measure in my kit because last year was my first season with this gear and I'm tweaking it on the river.

In my kit is a pen and paper to keep a list of stuff I wish I had in the kit when I was on my last trip.

I bought a good repair kit with a few extras for about $60 or $70 at Downriver and then added a bunch of stuff to it. I'm expanding it by adding another Pelican box to it this season.

I don't think you can carry too many tools and repair supplies unless you are just day tripping.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2010   #4

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Add spare fastek buckles, baling wire, extra nuts/bolts for anything that might lose one, vice grips, stove repair kit, needles and thread (or dental floss) to sew the boat fabric, and a wire saw to harvest wood members for your busted frame / oars. That still doesn't take all that much space, especially compared with all the other crap we take on a multi-day trip. If you're far enough away from your car to want to do more than a duct tape patch to your boat, you probably want to be able to make pretty serious repairs.
asleep.at.the.oars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010   #5

Christopher Creek, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1969
I keep my patch gear in a metal ammo can that is painted a different color so I don't forget to load it. I carry the full set-up plus extra locks w/lube, misc. replacement nuts and bolts and try to change out the adhesive on an annual basis. Don't forget a small sheet of plastic in case you have to make an inside patch.
fdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010   #6

I don't carry glue anymore. It takes to long to set up and I figure that I will just have to remove and redo the patch properly when I get off the river any way. So now I carry a big roll of Tear Aid for a quick repair on the river and then do the real patch at home under better conditions.

TEAR-AID Sales Demonstration Video
BoscoBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010   #7

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
One thing I have found valuable is a PRV plug. They are only a few bucks and so much more efficient than trying to put duct tape over a leaky valve. I have used one and given away two over last year. Just have to be careful how fully you fill your floor.

I also carry an extra oar tower in addition to a spare oar lock.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
lmaciag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010   #8
Come and open the gate

denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoscoBoater View Post
So now I carry a big roll of Tear Aid for a quick repair on the river and then do the real patch at home under better conditions.
i like that approach. tear aid and duct tape would hold together any small holes untill you can get home and properly repair it.
stribtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010   #9

No glue? A few years ago I had a 3 foot gash across two chambers on my cataraft. Duck tape and TEAR-AID Sales Demonstration Video wasn't going to fix it so we ended up sewing and then patching after requesting glue from passing boaters.

Plan for the worst especially on long trips!
rsmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010   #10

Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
New glue every spring!!