Partner Steel Stoves - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-23-2011   #1

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Partner Steel Stoves

I'm in need of a little retail therapy and I'm sick of buying stoves that don't last. So, this is my target.

I'm having a little trouble with all the options... 2/3/4/6 burner, 16"/18", hinges, etc. I'm thinking that three burners are a bit unnecessary as the burners end up being so close together to use three pots, but would be nice for use with a griddle. Thoughts, experience? Would be nice to have a 5 burner (2 on one side and three on the other). I'm planning on buying the stand, so the hinge issue is a bit moot. Might consider the breakaway option so I can have the option to only bring two burners on a light weight trip.

If I go for the four, any real issues between 16" and 18"? I'm not thinking I will put it in an ammo can (I believe this is the reason for the 16"). Should I? (I plan on keeping the hoses in a drybox or drybag.) My understanding is that the stoves are bomber and that is not necessary. Looks like the large griddle will fit nicely on either.

Any place local to the Denver/Boulder area that carry these? Looks as though DRE and AAA do not. No retailer list on the Partner Steel site.

Thanks in advance.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
lmaciag is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2011   #2

Not to knock the Partner stoves, but Coleman makes good stuff and they will repair, or refurbish their products for reasonable fees. We folded a three burner in half, beat it back into shape, used it and had them redo it for about 25 bucks. Those 3 burners are nice with a blaster.

Good luck
rafterbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011   #3

Jenks, Oklahoma
get the larger 4 burner you can cook for two or twenty with it
will hold two of their griddles
last forever, but you can buy a kit to rebuild them, I got the kit but do not think I will ever use it
bomb proof and last stove you will ever buy unless you loose it overboard
get the cloth bag for storage
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2011   #4

Wheat Ridge, 80033
I just took my partner on its virgin trip. I got the 16" 4 burner so it would fit in an ammo can. great stove that puts out plenty of heat. If I didn't want to put it in the ammo can I would go with the 18" the 16" is almost cramped for cooking. The hoses fit nicely under the grates for storage.

I also have the break apart so I can set them side by side on a camp counter.

I purchased it directly from Partner Steel.
tmaggert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011   #5

Ashland and Lake Almanor, state of jefferson
Paddling Since: 1997
the 16" 4 burner is bad ass. I'm sure this stove will last forever, colemen stoves work but, they suck china shit wal-mart junk.
i've had lots of them. finally stepped up to the real deal this year
the hoses fit inside under the burners for packing.
we didn't buy the stand or wind bock. it woulda been almost a arm& leg with that stuff.
shop around spring sales are coming.
20% off is a pretty good deal.
kaya dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011   #6
Boy Howdy!

Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
2 words: Buy American

2 more: Nuff Said
Old 03-23-2011   #7

vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
maybe get a smaller one and get a woodland power stove for $100 as a burner. They collapse nice and small and it can do your heavy work (boiling water or stew) while you use the partner for the cooking ...
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011   #8

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
I have a Woodland Power Stove already. There are enough times when having more than 2+1 burners is nice. You should have seen us trying to cook Thanksgiving Dinner on The Grand!

I have already tried and returned the Camp Chef All-Terrain Stove. It came with bent hinges and there were issues with the hose sealing. Though the thought of 20k BTU seemed really nice.

I think I'm leaning towards the 18" 4-burner unless anyone has some hard lobbying for the 6-burner.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
lmaciag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011   #9

vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
You can't get an effective cookout with six burners ... Seven. Seven chipmunks twirling on a branch. ...
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011   #10

Christopher Creek, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1969
I laid down the cash for the 18" 4 burner a couple years ago and have not looked back. The partner stove is a pro piece of gear. The burners adjust from low to full and every thing in between smoothly. It will cook for both a small group or an army and has the output to boil a couple gallons of water quickly. Windscreens that fit under the grills for storage were easy to fab from roof flashing. The only downside for me is the suitcase style model has the control knobs on two opposite sides of the stove. If I had it to do over, I would be looking at the break away model that lets you lay the burners out on the table any way you like.
fdon is offline   Reply With Quote