Partner Steel Square Dutch Oven - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-14-2010   #1
The Old Troll

Gypsum, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Partner Steel Square Dutch Oven

Does anyone have any experience with PARTNER STEEL Square Hard-Anodized Aluminum Dutch Ovens? I'm considering buying a couple of nesting ovens. I've been using GSI aluminum and they work well on the river but the features offered by the Partner Ovens make them very attractive. So how do they perform in the real world? Thanks in advance.

David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2010   #2

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
While I've always been happy with Partner Steel products, I don't think that their DOs function well in comparison to other more standard round DOs.

The square DO's do make a nice, heavy set of nesting pots but I don't think they bake well at all. Another downside is that while the square shape helps them pack easier, they're also much more difficult to clean the corners.
cooljerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010   #3

Oregon City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1972
I've used a Hobart square aluminum Dutch oven for 25 years, and have found its cooking to be equal to the round aluminum oven that I've used for almost as long. The square oven stores more easily, and it makes for nice, even rows of cinnamon rolls. I'm a strong advocate for aluminum. It's much lighter, heats more evenly, doesn't rust, and requires no special care. It also uses less charcoal. I don't know about Partner's oven, but I have other products from Harvey Partner, and they have all been good--both in private and commercial applications.
The Mogur is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2010   #4

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
My biggest complaint with the Partner DOs was the lid seal. Unless there have been significant improvements the lids weren't finished well enough to create a tigth seal, letting heat escape and compromising the baking process. I would call them nice (but expensive) pots and poor DOs.

I agree about the positive attributes of aluminum DOs especially for river kitchens. It seems like The Mogur has had good luck with th Hobart DOs so that could be a better option to explore.

For the record, I agree The Mogur, Harvey's other products have always served me well on commercial and private trips.
cooljerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010   #5
The Old Troll

Gypsum, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Hobart DO's

Does your oven look like the ovens at this website? Page 2
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010   #6

Oregon City, Oregon
It has been many years since I've seen the Hobart DO marketed. It does look similar to Woody's, but in the pictures, I don't see legs on Woody's. The Hobart does have legs, which I consider an essential characteristic of any Dutch oven.

I've looked at the photos of Partner's DO, and it appears to be fabricated from rolled aluminum plate. That manufacturing process would certainly limit the design, relative to casting--which is how most Dutch ovens are made.

I also have a large rectangular cast aluminum skillet with a lipped lid that seals well (I called it "the three-handle cooker" because its three handles are its most distinctive feature). I see it marketed regularly as a Dutch oven, but since it lacks legs I've never considered it to be one. I normally use it on the stove top, but occasionally I do use it with charcoal, as a Dutch oven, but that entails propping it up on rocks, and I find that tedious. Still, the three-handle cooker is the most all-around useful piece of cookware in my river camp kitchen.
Old 07-15-2010   #7

I have two friends who have the square partners and have also used them on a Grand Trip (outfitters gear). From my experience they work great, I have not heard complaints about the lid seals. The lids are good for frying bacon etc but your table needs to be damn level or the grease will tend to quickly spill out one of the corners. I personally have not used that many DO's but the partners seemed to work fine.

For stacking ovens the lack of legs hasn't been a problem. Stick some charcoal in there, done.
mbannister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010   #8

Gardnerville, Nevada
Paddling Since: 00
I also have a large rectangular cast aluminum skillet with a lipped lid that seals well (I called it "the three-handle cooker" because its three handles are its most distinctive feature). I see it marketed regularly as a Dutch oven, but since it lacks legs I've never considered it to be one. I normally use it on the stove top, but occasionally I do use it with charcoal, as a Dutch oven, but that entails propping it up on rocks, and I find that tedious. Still, the three-handle cooker is the most all-around useful piece of cookware in my river camp kitchen.[/QUOTE]

Hey Mogur,
where have you seen this lately? I've been looking for this for a while. Cascade used to sell it, but not anymore.

Thanks,

ps It's lunch time: Lasagna
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010101.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	481.8 KB
ID:	2881  
oarframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010   #9

Oregon City, Oregon
Sad day! It looks like the product is no longer available. I sent an e-mail message to the sales manager at Rome Industries in Peoria Ill, asking what became of the product--which they call "Super Cooker." I'll let you know what they say.
Old 07-19-2010   #10

Oregon City, Oregon
Here is what I found out about my much-loved "three-handle cooker." It was made by Rome Industries, so I contacted their sales manager and received the following reply:

"Thanks for writing. I hate to have to confirm this, but yes we have discontinued the cast aluminum dutch oven. Believe me you’re not the only one upset about it and infact you can include me in that camp. Unfortunately, we were having a lot of trouble during the production runs which was resulting in a high rate of defectives. While the defects were always caught before leaving the factory it was becoming too much trouble for the foundry and so it reached a point where we were going to have to go elsewhere to have the item cast or drop the item. We’re on the lookout for a new foundry to produce the item for us, but it’s a difficult process due to the trickiness of getting the casting done right plus the somewhat low number of pieces that we make. I’m hopeful that we’ll get things going again in the future, but it will be at least next summer before it happens. If we do come out with it, you’ll see it on www.romeindustries.com or feel free to check in with me about this time next year. Sorry again for the bad news."

So there it is. The only thing we can do is let them know that there is a continued demand for the product, to encourage them to find a foundary that can manufacture the product.