Partner Steel griddle durability - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-21-2011   #1

out west, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1998
Partner Steel griddle durability

Just got a Partner Steel griddle.

Would like to hear about the durability from others? Care, age? Do you use non-stick utensils on it or does it stand up to metal utensils? Can it be scrubbed with a a scouring pad (green)?

Thanks.

brasscap is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2011   #2

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I've had one for a couple of years. You can use anything on them. I always use a flat edged spatula for the cleaning/scraping. Those green scrubby pads work good. When done cooking, put a little water on it with a little heat and it cleans up easily. Soap is fine, no need for seasoning.
Old 07-21-2011   #3

Jenks, Oklahoma
I have two partner steel griddles. Many years of use. They get better with age. I use metal flippers and plastic ones - what ever is available. Clean in soapy water with the green scrubbers, dip in clorox water and air dry. Actually, most of the time mine are pretty much non stick and could probably get by with just the clorox rinse.

I do think they get better faster if you fry some bacon etc a couple times. I also spray on some Pam if the food being cooked is not greasy like bacon or sausage is. I know they do not season like cast iron, but mine have a bit of a patina on them that seems to help.

You might hurt them with a cutting torch, but my bet is you give yours to your kids and they pass them on as well.

The reason I have two is for my partner steel stove. With both griddles going it is close to a flat top in a cafe. Pancakes are served hot off the griddle and I can feed a bunch of folks pretty fast.
okieboater is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2011   #4

Okie, now your making me think I should get a second for that full top cooking surface.
Old 07-21-2011   #5

Jenks, Oklahoma
Here is my take on Partner Steel:

I got mine a while back, and they still work and look like new.
Heck, the way prices went up, I could not afford them now, so buy now
With two griddles, you can serve up hot food off the griddle IE hot pancakes sure nuff beat cold ones! Toast up cheese sandwiches to go with that soup on cold lunch days. We toast up garlic bread on the griddles in a flash. Eggs to order is not a problem with two griddles. Fry up pork chops and the list goes on.
They are made in America.

as the old saying goes "more is better" so buy another one now - it will add to your group's enjoyment of the food you cook up.
Old 07-21-2011   #6

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Too many dips into the river to steam off the grease over many years of commercial use will warp them. That's okay though, because driving one of the company vans up on top while the griddle is upside down on blocks will flatten it back out. (true story!)

I oil mine before anything goes down, I've had bacon stick to the steel before, and have used steel wool to clean it without noticable wear to anything other than the patina. I use pliers to hold it while hot, still haven't seen wear from those either.

Remember to use risers (1" angle iron works great) on a Partner stove, otherwise you'll melt the o-rings that control the propane. Fires from the control knobs sort of ruin the meal's ambiance...
asleep.at.the.oars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011   #7

Jenks, Oklahoma
question for asleep.at.the.oars?

I have heard the need to use the risers on partner steel stoves.

I have a 4 burner 18 inch partner steel stove and have never used a riser and so far no issues. Not sure if I have been just lucky or what.

My question is does this need for a riser apply to all Partner Steel Stoves or was it for a specific run.
Old 07-21-2011   #8

Pro gave us a four burner split apart with partner griddle for our grand trip a couple weeks ago. They didn't give us risers and the griddle was awesome. Everything pretty much came right off them. If they are using them they must hold up to everything you can think of.
Osprey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by okieboater View Post
question for asleep.at.the.oars?

I have heard the need to use the risers on partner steel stoves.

I have a 4 burner 18 inch partner steel stove and have never used a riser and so far no issues. Not sure if I have been just lucky or what.

My question is does this need for a riser apply to all Partner Steel Stoves or was it for a specific run.
Bill @ Partner told me that if you have the big 4 burner stove, which I have, you don't need the risers because there is enough venting around the edge of the griddle to let the heat escape. You only need them on the smaller stoves where the bottom of the griddle overlaps the edge of the stove. I would say that if you're unsure, use the risers or talk to Bill.
Old 07-21-2011   #10

out west, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by asleep.at.the.oars View Post
I've had bacon stick to the steel before,
Uh.... They're made out of aluminum.
brasscap is offline   Reply With Quote