paddling tandem hyside solo - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-21-2009   #1

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1966
paddling tandem hyside solo

Wondering about the suitability of a tandem Hyside Padillac IK for paddling solo during big water next spring in class III+/IV. The ratings are for the big, powerful waves and not for the need for fast, precise moves -- hence I suspect the tandem should be fine -- sitting closer to center. Any thoughts? Also, do you think it would help to put some extra weight in the boat or is that not necessary? If so, any suggestions? (rocks in a well-secured bag?). I weigh 175 lbs.
Thanks folks!

johnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2009   #2

Boulder, Colorado
Are you going on an overnighter? I would try to get a normal sized boat but like any IK you will need to be ready to swim. I would practice getting back into your boat in some easy water as you will be flipping a lot, have fun.
-Tom
tj@cu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009   #3

Jackson, Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Are you going on an overnighter? I would try to get a normal sized boat but like any IK you will need to be ready to swim. I would practice getting back into your boat in some easy water as you will be flipping a lot, have fun.
-Tom
Typical will be day trips. The tandem Hyside IK will already be on hand in the Spring, and I am assuming it will do the trick solo -- even if not ideal -- but would like to hear from others on this. There is also an AIRE Lynx I, but being new at this, I'm thinking that the fatter tubes and lower seat of the Padillac might be good (more stable?) when the waves gets huge -- even if it is tandem driven solo? I'm running with Lynx I now, but the cfs will increase about 400% in the Spring! I guess if I try them both in the Spring, I'll find out fast! -- and hopefully live to tell the tale!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2009   #4

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Im certainly not any sort of an expert when it comes to Ik'ing. However I don't see any reason that a Tandem IK would be any less stable than a single IK. In truth the longer water line should be more stable assuming that you are squared up to waves. As you mentioned it will also be a bit harder to turn.

With either boat the more you paddle it, and practice things like eddy catches (both river side and mid current), up stream ferries, and bracing the more stable you will be.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009   #5

San Juan Islands, Washington
I don't think you'll like paddling a tandem solo. I've noticed when I'm paddling my Lynx II solo it gets blown and knocked around quite a bit if I don't have any weight in it, a lot like a big empty raft. It also fills with water and is very heavy until it drains. If I add a bunch of weight with a Paco pad and a full gear bag it will go thru most waves without getting knocked around, the extra gear keeps water from filling the boat too. I bought a solo Sotar not long after buying the tandem because of the difference performance.
tomrefried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009   #6

SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
Depends on your size. If you're 180+ lbs. with reasonably long arms, you'll find it just about right. (Hyside Padillacs are beamy.)

Quite of few of the duckmeisters I've boated with use tandem boats, since the flotation really helps in big water. On the Grand Canyon I paddled a duck (Jack's Pack Cat) with 16-inch tubes rather than my usual 12-inch diameter boat.

A bonus is that you can do multiday self support trips that would overload a solo duck.
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009   #7

Jackson, Wyoming
The Hyside Padillac IK arrived. Haven't tried it solo yet, but thought I would give a few general impressions. I have been paddling my Lynx I solo, so the tandem Hyside felt a bit like a barge -- none of that one-stroke-turn-on-a-dime thing. I got a bit frustrated missing a few big waves because 1) with my GF in front and me farther back than in a solo boat, I didn't see them soon enough, and 2) I couldn't move the boat fast enough once I did see them to get to them (fine-tuning the communication between me and GF might help a bit). Of course, I didn't miss them all, but there were a few.

On the other hand, and this was the whole point of getting the Hyside, my GF felt more comfortable with the legendary stability of the Hyside (than in our tandem AIRE Tributary TomCat) -- I expect this will be even more the case when the water comes back up in the Spring. I expect the Hyside will keep her boating with me longer as the cfs comes up. She also liked the "ride" of the Hyside better, not as plank-like -- but I can't say for sure how that impression may have been at least partially due to how hard the boats were inflated in her trips -- no experimental design controlling for all variables!

As for my solo boating, the Lynx I is the bee's knees -- maneuverable and plenty stable at current levels. We'll see in the Spring high water if I prefer the relative extra stability of the Hyside or the relative extra maneuverability of the Lynx I (I'm thinking Lynx). Having fun!! (And now I'll also have to try out a Torrent SOT!)