Paddling glove choice? - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-02-2013   #1

Enfield, New Hampshire
Paddling Since: 1990
Paddling glove choice?

Limiting the discussion to gloves only, which is warmer? the NRS Maverick or the Glacier Glove Perfect Curve?

Thanks a lot. Trying to decide for Xmas.

JIMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2013   #2

Bazzaro, Free
Paddling Since: 2020
Heavy duty dish washing gloves work better than both IMHO! If your hands get cold use a lite weight glove liner. Total cost. $5.
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013   #3
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
I paddle with the maverick and just bought my 3rd pair. Couple things to bear in mind:

- Once warm (even after overnight freeze) they are good to about 35 degrees. Below that I get really numb hands
- The webbing between my fingers gets raw wearing these. I have large palms and short fingers but others I've talked to have the same issue.
- The "waterproof" nature of these gloves depends on not dunking your wrists and not puncturing the glove. It can be helpful for non-splashy runs, but any real whitewater and they are just another neoprene glove. Often times it's better to get the water in early so it warms rather than later and having numb hands mid-run for a few minutes.
- My brother borrowed mind and he has much larger forearms from climbing. His hands were numb the whole time from lack of circulation. Try a pair on.

All that said, they provide excellent paddle feel and decent rope handling. I took a swiftwater course in sub 30 degree temperature and decidedly cold the entire time never lacked the dexterity to perform the tasks/tie ropes.
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2013   #4
Abron Cabron

Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
I am one that hates wearing gloves, but the ones that have worked the best for me are the maverick gloves. They work pretty good as broken down by Glenn.
they are adequately warm for their thickness. IDK if theres a better option other then switching to NRS Toaster mitts.(that being Said I have never heard of the glacier gloves,nor tried them.)

i used to have the Toaster gloves and i found they were far too thick in the palm and affected my grip, which causes hand fatigue. that is of course, no bueno and basically a complete autofail. unless... one had a small diameter shaft paddle just for those purposes. which most likely isnt going to happen.

I dont paddle in as cold of conditions as much those of you up north, but when i did one january run last winter,under rare iced over conditions on the Rio- i didn't know what to expect,(i was a little skeered lol) so i wore the maverick gloves AND snapdragon pogies, and my hands were totally good like that. there was slush ice in the water, and ice sieves y todo (translation= and everything,no. )
infrequent river conditions for NM although it gets plenty cold here.

The other paddler i was that day with said he switched to toaster mitts and greatly prefers that setup after years of trial and error. easier to get on, and warm fingers cause they are together just like snow mittens, not separate. and no need for pogies that way. I would look at those for the coldest conditions, and the Maverick for the inbetween season cold days.
abron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013   #5
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I just bought glacier gloves based on people's recommendations but haven't actually used them to paddle yet. Fit good, grippy palm, but am suspicious about how warm they're actually going to be with only 2mm of neoprene.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013   #6

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Best gloves out there for kayaking imo are the NRS Reactor Rescue gloves. 3.5 mm neoprene.

NRS Reactor Rescue Gloves at nrs.com
lmyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013   #7
Abron Cabron

Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmyers View Post
Best gloves out there for kayaking imo are the NRS Reactor Rescue gloves. 3.5 mm neoprene.

NRS Reactor Rescue Gloves at nrs.com
Logan, the rescue gloves look legit, but have you had any problem with the synthetic leather palm? there is a review on NRS from a guy in Anchorage who complained aboot not being able to grip his paddle. But that is of course Alaska coldwater conditions.
Old 12-02-2013   #8
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Also if you are going to wear gloves I recommend paddle wax. Nearly pointless for barehands but it goes a long ways with gloved hands.
Old 12-02-2013   #9

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
That's a good question Abe. I have been planning on ordering a pair since I lost one of my old one's and the Natural gloves just don't quite cut it... I haven't seen them personally since they changed the color and changed the name to "rescue" glove, but I don't have a problem gripping my paddle with the natural gloves, so I don't see it being an issue. The old Reactor had a smooth material on the palm and fingers that appears to be neoprene. Can't speak for it's construction now, and CKS doesn't carry them.
lmyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013   #10
Abron Cabron

Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Yeah thats tough to have to order em without trying em on. NRS has a great return policy tho. The AK dude was mighty sad about the reactor glove being DC'ed. that was the glove that was too thick for me.