paddlers with total knee replacements - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-27-2013   #1

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2012
paddlers with total knee replacements

I had both knees replaced early last year and one of the most adamant warnings is about knees hitting rocks. The knees can break and that would be a huge bad deal.

I have been thinking about knee pads that would normally be worn for hardcourt volleyball or wrestling. I haven't seen any made for rivers/creeks. Anyone else with this concern? Ideas?

Thank you!

Taters is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2013   #2

bc, CA
Paddling Since: 2007
I had a similar post a while back. Maybe you could read it and get some good ideas.
https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...ing-47332.html
brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013   #3

Boise, Idaho
knee pads

I already had both knee replaced with great results. I just need knee pads to protect them. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2013   #4

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
I had both knees (and a hip) replaced in 2006. I was not given that warning. I must say that my surgeon was a little concerned about popping the hip out if I got caught in a hole or had a bad swim, but no warnings on the knees. Paddle all the time and rarely swim but have a couple of times since the surgeries. Can't imagine breaking the prosthesis hitting a rock. I think you would be more likely to break your bone--but no more likely than anyone else. I'm not worried about it in the least.
jones boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013   #5

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but in May I fractured my femur just above my knee replacement. Just a fluke twisting fall when I slipped on a wet floor. Took 3 hrs of surgery, a metal plate, 11 screws, and bone grafting to fix it. I am amazed at how much damage a stupid slip & twist has caused. I am also amazed that this kind of injury is relatively rare, given that people ski, hike, kayak, raft, etc. after knee replacement. My surgeon told me that the only way to "break" my knee replacement was to smash it on a rock.....he never mentioned that a simple fall could break my femur. A bone that usually doesn't break unless there is major force and trauma. It's been three months, and I'm still on crutches. Hopefully a fall & winter's worth of rehab will find me back on my raft next season. Be careful out there.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013   #6

Boise, Idaho
Geeeez, girl, sorry to hear about that! Good luck! Did the doc think that the replacement had anything to do with the break? It's the slippery rocks that concern me thus far in my brief ik career.
Old 08-28-2013   #7

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taters View Post
Geeeez, girl, sorry to hear about that! Good luck! Did the doc think that the replacement had anything to do with the break? It's the slippery rocks that concern me thus far in my brief ik career.
Definitely due to the knee replacement. Would not have fractured the femur if the knee replacement wasn't there. Would have maybe torn a ligament, or just sprained the knee. The process of attaching the knee component to the femur bone weakens it slightly, and because the hardware is firmly cemented in place, there's no give, and the femur breaks above it instead. When I looked up info on supracondylar femur fractures it said it's most common in frail, elderly people with severe osteoporosis, or people with knee replacements. Incidence is like 2% in knee replacement patients I think? What happened to me, is that my good foot slipped, and my bad leg sort of folded and twisted under me, with enough torque to break it.

I'm sure I'll have higher anxiety about slippery rocks when I return to rafting next season. Something I'll have to overcome....just like other things that we learn to overcome with running whitewater. I'll work on strength & balance this fall and winter, and be extra careful. I might wear a knee brace while rafting, not sure yet? Will discuss it with doctor & rehab folks.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013   #8

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
There's those soft knee pads that are kind of like the elastic braces but they have 1-2" of foam padding. Those would probably work pretty awesome in and out of the boat.
mattoak is offline   Reply With Quote