Paddle repair question - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-05-2011   #1

Potsdam, New York
Paddling Since: 2010
Paddle repair question

I have a perception river passage paddle and one of the blades has come unglued from the shaft. The blade is plastic and the shaft is metal where the blade attaches. What kind of glue should I use to fix this? I've been told to use some type of hot melt glue to allow changes later on, but I'm not sure of exactly what type.

staples156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2011   #2

Boise, Idaho
I would use a good two part epoxy. My grandfather was an engineer and he always used and talked about that stuff like it was holding society together. I have used gorilla glue for different projects and it seems to work well also, especially if you use a little extra.

Whatever you decide I would rough up both contact surfaces with a file or something to get a better bond.

For questions like this, google may be faster and/or yield more results...
rafterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011   #3

Potsdam, New York
Paddling Since: 2010
I already tried google and couldn't find anything very specific, mostly recommendations to use epoxy or some type of hot melt adhesive. I'm trying to avoid using epoxy so that I can change things later on if I need to. I was hoping someone here might know what type of hot melt adhesive to use and where I can get it.
staples156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2011   #4

Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Paddling Since: 09
i second the epoxy i mean that will for sure fix it paddles sometimes have alot of strain on them so the stronger bond u can get will be better... i mean its broken now anyways so what if u cant adjust it later on better to have it in a fixed position than none at all but u may try drilling a hole through it since its metal and plastic and either rivitting it back together that way if u ever wanted to change the pitch u could just drill out the rivits drill another set of holes in the metal and pop some new rivits in it... but i still think the best way to go is the epoxy...

ken
renkenken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011   #5

Boise, Idaho
A through bolt is not a bad idea, which I was talking about doing to oars on a different thread. The key would be to have it in the right spot and have it be low-profile/safe. Also, it's tough to say whether or not the strength of the paddle would be compromised.
rafterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011   #6

North Bend, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafterman View Post
I would use a good two part epoxy. My grandfather was an engineer and he always used and talked about that stuff like it was holding society together. .
Yeah, my grandfather would talk about diesel fuel with the same passion- good for everything you know...
Kendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011   #7

Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Paddling Since: 09
right, thats where the rivits are nice as they are almost flush with the surface they are securing... however you are right i cannot say that some of the strength will not be lost, after all u are putting holes in something that wasnt intended to have holes in it haha... but goodluck and i hope however u decide to fix it works well...
renkenken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011   #8

Gypsum, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Try golf club glue. Tiger can't rip a head off at over a hundred mph, it might work!
golfsmith.com or golfworks.com It's a two part apoxy, and I use it quite a bit. They say set time is 24 hrs I let my clubs set 72.
swidell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011   #9

Willi..., Willimina, OR
Paddling Since: 68
Two part epoxy with a slow cure time will guve you the best strength.
garystrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011   #10

Gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Room temp cure epoxy needs at least 1 week at 70 degrees to come up to full strength.
HDPE is offline   Reply With Quote