Paddle Offset - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-18-2015   #1

SLC, Utah
Paddle Offset

Just starting to get into kayaking, and I'm wondering what some of the benefits of a 0 degree or 15 degree would be over a 30 degree feather or offset? It seems everyone carries 30 degree is there any reason to go lower?

screamingeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2015   #2

Everyone carries a 30 degree because that's what the stores stock. You have to custom order to get lower.

I have heard the reason for the offset is less wind resistance for the blade that's in the air, and that it's a hold over from ocean/lake kayaking. Wind resistance doesn't really concern me 99% of the time in a whitewater kayak (the paddle out of Westwater or something similar being the rare exception). I've never heard of any other benefit of the 30 degree offset.

A 15 degree or 0 degree supposedly makes playboating moves easier, makes your offside roll easier, and is more ergonomic (less twisting of your wrists). I say supposedly because I haven't had a chance to use one, but all of that makes sense to me.

My next paddle will be a 0 degree.
jaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015   #3
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Search old threads and you can probably find info. It's been discussed ad nauseam. I get 30 because it's ubiquitous. Probably biggest difference is for playboating in which 0 is best. After giving it a lot of thought, I think there is an alignment/power benefit of some offset, at least on one side of the stroke. Short is, not going not make much difference if you're in the 0-30 range.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2015   #4

Lakewood, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSC View Post
Search old threads and you can probably find info. It's been discussed ad nauseam. I get 30 because it's ubiquitous. Probably biggest difference is for playboating in which 0 is best. After giving it a lot of thought, I think there is an alignment/power benefit of some offset, at least on one side of the stroke. Short is, not going not make much difference if you're in the 0-30 range.
Slight tangent. I learned to paddle when all paddles had a 90 degree feather, so I learned to twist the paddle with each stroke, keeping my right hand fixed and letting it slip in my left hand. With a 30 degree paddle are you still meant to let the paddle slip in one hand? or just twist your wrists? Is there still such a thing as left and right hand control paddles?
lemsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015   #5
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemsip View Post
Slight tangent. I learned to paddle when all paddles had a 90 degree feather, so I learned to twist the paddle with each stroke, keeping my right hand fixed and letting it slip in my left hand. With a 30 degree paddle are you still meant to let the paddle slip in one hand? or just twist your wrists? Is there still such a thing as left and right hand control paddles?
Same principle, less twisting.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015   #6

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Yes there is definitely a difference in control hand. When I first started paddling I just got a paddle off of cragslist and it was a left hand control. I learned to use it but it wasn't right for me. I finally got a right hand control. The paddle feather is an age old debate but I agree with what jaffy said. I just ordered a 15 degree offset custom and it only costs an extra $30 from Werner. If you are just starting it might not matter the offset as you will get used to it. Just remember that if you get a paddle with offset be sure to get the proper control hand and let the paddle shaft slightly rotate in the other hand. Have fun.
ambrosic is offline   Reply With Quote