paddle leash - pros,cons,and saftey concerns. (revisited) - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking > Kayaking | Gear Talk

Old 07-20-2013   #1

cape may, New Jersey
paddle leash - pros,cons,and saftey concerns. (revisited)

I have read a few posts on here about paddle leashes and how bad they are, but what they all have in common is the topic is based around attaching the paddle to your self, witch i agree is a horrible idea. I personaly use a leash and love it, of corse I kayak surf so im sure that I dont realy fall under the same saftey concerns as white water paddlers.

I have a coiled teather that goes from the paddle to the security eye on the right side of my pyranha Z one. It saftly transits under my arm and lays on the cockpit channel a majority of the time. I have enough "stretch" to reach and normal range of motion withough any interfierance and taunt enough at rest to where it is safely out of the way.

My main reason for use it so that I dont loose the paddle if I have to wet exit in emergency in the surf, so i dont have to worry about chasing two fairly expensive things now, and also when I have had to wet exit I still have paddle in hand and I am able to get back to my boat before the rollers take it away and wash my boat up some where that may damage it or injur some one else standing in the shallows.

I guess what I am getting at all in all is when I move from the beach and start getting into white water/play boating is this going to be too much of a saftey hazard in river turbulant waters and such? Sorry for the long way around the question, also thought I would share my situation and set up.

homeworld8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2013   #2

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
I think it would be unsafe at anything bigger than class II. To much risk of an entanglement for me.
shredder-scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013   #3

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I had never seen them in whitewater until the Grand Inga film. They leashed their paddles to their wrists so they wouldn't loose them in those giant whirlpools. I would avoid this altogether for whitewater.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2013   #4

cape may, New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Frank View Post
I had never seen them in whitewater until the Grand Inga film. They leashed their paddles to their wrists so they wouldn't loose them in those giant whirlpools. I would avoid this altogether for whitewater.
Yea, attaching it to your wrist seems like a who ruble idea on many levels. I would never test her anything to my body in this sport.

Also on another note for white water if u got separated from your boat if the cable got hung up and put your gear in further danger. If I ever leave the ocean I feel the same for the leash.
homeworld8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013   #5

Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
Terrible idea for most whitewater, where you can snag on things like rocks and trees. For the ocean and the Inga, where you stand almost zero chance of hitting something solid, it isn't that bad of an idea.
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013   #6

Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Bomber Creek Mitts and Zero Degree are plenty for keeping hold of my paddle. Creek Mitts protect against any kind of sudden shock from bumps, etc, and although they are looser than your typical pogies (which is preferable in my book, for easily taking a hand off the paddle and back on, etc), they definitely contribute to keeping hold of the paddle.

Zero Degree feather kind of helps overall, since the paddle's shaft never needs to rotate/shift for any type of stroke/brace/roll etc. I can still use normal-feathered paddles if I have to though. There are pros and cons to both.

Anyway, recently, only lost half my paddle because it broke off in Cripp's wave on Lower Clear Creek, but I was never in danger of actually letting go of my paddle accidentally.
Kendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013   #7

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
People die from board leashes I don't see what the purpose of this paddle leash is for. Sounds like a false security
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013   #8
gh

pnw, Colorado
Fill out that organ donor card before you start using one.
Old 07-22-2013   #9

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Just had this idea....what about a paddle leash for whitewater on a static line that has a specific breaking load?

Think of it like how base jumpers, when they are jumping from something low, tie a static line from their pilot chutes to a fixed object, so that when they jump, the line pulls the pilot chute and then opens up the velcro on their pack and removes their main canopy, and then when the canopy is fully extended and their body weight loads the canopy lines and then the static line, it breaks when it reaches that critical load which is enough to rip the canopy out of the pack, but not enough to halt their freefall.

Maybe something with a relatively low breaking load so that if your paddle gets stuck and the current pulls you away it will break loose. If it were like a 1ft line I don't see a real risk of entanglement. ??
mattoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013   #10

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Also, homeworld, where in cape may do you live? I'm going to be in wildwood from August 1 to the 12th and it would be awesome to come meet up and do some kayak surfing in the ocean if you are around.

If you ever come out to the front range I can promise to meet for some whitewater paddling in return
mattoak is offline   Reply With Quote