Paddle clothes for newbies - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-25-2018   #1

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
Paddle clothes for newbies

Having a hardish time deciding on clothes ! We've been rafting flatter for ever and I've done a lot of kayaking (almost 30 yrs ago!) We're signed up (my wife and i) for a kayak course and we are doing some easy whitewater rafting too. I want to go on long whitewater trips someday and I want to do our local class 3 river in the spring and summer. I don't know what's going to happen with my wife as she has never done kayaking . We have some iks too that we cart around on when it's hot (which is he Dr here). Ok so thats clear as mud now...so clothes. Back in the day I had a farmer John and dryish top. So iam ok with the idea. But now I see they have dry tops and suits that have a neoprene eco and sleeves. These look cozy but are they ok for a lot of swimming? We will not be doing the still be ever (so sad iam old). But...I can also find dry suits on c.l. for less just older. But...since we will likely be fair weather paddlers...would t Dry tops/semi dry tops and farmer johns or dry pa t's be a option ? I personally wouldn't mind having a closet full of this stuff but my wife is very frown faced cause it's a bit spendy. What did some of you guys do that are kinda like us? We will rent some stuff for our kayak course but it's tired ghetto stuff and I want to be warm and I know any will swim and I want her to feel less freaked out by it. Thanks Charlie in Bozeman Montana ps I didn't edkt this so sorry if it reads poorly

Pinchecharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2018   #2

Wenatchee, Washington
Farmer john + standard gasketed drytop. Drytops are pretty easy to find on CL / local FB groups.
NateW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018   #3

Bozeman, Montana
Thanks. Any opinions on hydro skin stuff. The gear shops pushing it as the thing. I dunno besides well look pretty stupid all fat in that for sure. They make fat guy wet shits now lol! I pretty much decided on a farmer and top. Stupid I know but it's been years since I wore one and i can't remember so..1,2 or 3 best for newbies and cold water but sun (should be a balmy fifty or sixty outside most mornings or worse in spring. Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2018   #4

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Gore-Tex with latex gaskets for outerwear. Fleece, capiline, micro wool and poly-pro all make good layering options.

I actually wear cotton socks in my drysuit, but it's because it's the only way I can find to keep my feet from sweating and getting the suit funky.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018   #5

Wenatchee, Washington
I like ski socks in my drysuit. If it's really cold I'll use chemical toe warmers.

I've had great luck with hydroskins, they're high quality durable pieces, but they are pretty thin so in really cold temps it'd be bad for swims. Make sure you get a farmer john that can zip up from the bottom for nature breaks.
NateW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018   #6

Roaring Fork Valley, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Jeans. If itís cold wear two pairs.
Blade&Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018   #7

Bozeman, Montana
Yeah I know these kinds of questions are lame huh. Wish it was easier to know about this shit without buying junk or spending 5 grand . I know how you feel from other forums where iam an expert lol. Last year a guy took his wife (big and fat) and his kids 4 and 6 months old down our little class 2,3 river on a hot August day in a Wal-Mart raft in jeans . I'd like to say it all went well, yay this is fun! But it ended with criminal charges and a fatality. So shit someone must have taken that kind of advice before. It is a lame post though i agree.
Old 06-29-2018   #8

Jenks, Oklahoma
Asking questions is one way we gain knowledge. Question lame or quality depends on who is reading the question.

I think the bottom line is while experienced boaters can give general advice based on what has worked for them, the advice may or may not work for a specific person or the rivers they plan to run - especially a first or low time boater who usually has little knowledge of risk and reward of first floats.

Mountain Buzz usually has good advice, some times maybe not. It is up to the reader to decide what works for them.

The search for knowledge never ends.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote